• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drive shaft yoke balancer, 98 w/5sp

fireguy12117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I finally figured out the noise and vibration that i've been searching for. it seems as though i am of the lucky few to have the transmission output shaft yoke balancer come apart at the rubber that holds the 2 pieces together.

on a quick search i see two solutions. drop the shaft and yank the loose ring off, drive it till the wheels fall off...

or get a new output yoke and have the whole thing rebalanced, which sounds like more money than i want to spend.

the catch is that i do feel a vibration in the drive line as a result of the balancer coming apart.

What is the smart thing to do here? get it fixed correctly at a shop that does this kind of work, or perhaps press off the sleeve that still on the yoke and see what happens?

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Dude, I would buy an entire new driveshaft at a junkyard for $75-$100. Direct bolt in, and new pieces.

fireguy12117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
my experience has been that the drive shaft would not come with the trans output yoke. that would be a separate item.

i'm more interested in getting the output yoke repaired, if the yoke and the DS are matched at the factory, that would be good information to have.

fireguy12117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know the 'correct' name for this thing?

Calling around to junk yards and repair shops, no one knows what i'm talking about.

I will be hitting the u-pick yard this weekend, hope i get lucky.

fireguy12117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I guess i got a little lucky.

Found a Gen 2 std cab stick in the yard and it looked like it had what i needed so i grabbed the shaft and never looked back.

Turns out the shaft was a few inches to short and the spacing of the u-joint ears on the yoke were different so i had to swap u-joints around. also the yoke itself was perhaps an inch shorter. i didn't think it would be a problem since the splines seemed like they'd have enough contact.

All in all, i got the parts swapped and the truck seems to shift better and the vibration seems to be all but gone.

I managed to walk out wit 2 drive shafts and a set of locking hubs for $35 so ill take my lumps with having to swap things around since it was probably a few hundred dollars in parts i managed to practically walk out with!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals