• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DPFE issue

RonSerling

Reaction score
High in the mountains of San Bernardino National F
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
ummmmm 4" could be 6 but its a TTB and the little bugger varies from time to time !! LOL
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
Ok I posted a question about cats on my 1999 Ranger 4.0 a while ago and got some great help. Now I have a question relating to the muffler as we replaced the cats and we are still experiencing the same problem. As I said we replaced all the cats on it but it still has a lot of back pressure and it is blowing the DPFE hoses off, and even caught one of them on fire the other day. My question is is it possible that the muffler is plugged and could that be the cause of this issue or has anyone had this issue before and if so what was done to fix it ??? As per usual any help and or answers would be a great help. Thanks

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If your cats died and blew apart where do you think all that junk ends up? It gets stuck in the muffler...

RonSerling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
ummmmm 4" could be 6 but its a TTB and the little bugger varies from time to time !! LOL
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
If your cats died and blew apart where do you think all that junk ends up? It gets stuck in the muffler...
Well the front cat in the rear duo originally blew out the back was fine with no loss of internals. You could look from the back of the cat thru and see the materials in it were still in tact and upon emptying out the materials from the front one you could see light thru it wit a flashlight so the back one was still somewhat good !!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Have you hooked a vacuum guage to the engine and done a back pressure test? How are you figuring it's a back pressure issue? No judgement or insult intended, just asking.

Not sure what the "fire" is about. No fuel goes through the dpfe sensor. A broken hose just causes a vacuum leak... its literally just pressure from the intake to exhaust. No fire...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How old are the hoses?

When they get old they get hard and won't stay on. I went thru it on my F-150 roughly 5 years ago, any parts store should have replacement hose kits.

And they are special hose, fuel line may work in an emergency but it won't hold up to the heat (I tried)

RonSerling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
Have you hooked a vacuum guage to the engine and done a back pressure test? How are you figuring it's a back pressure issue? No judgement or insult intended, just asking.

Not sure what the "fire" is about. No fuel goes through the dpfe sensor. A broken hose just causes a vacuum leak... its literally just pressure from the intake to exhaust. No fire...
Dirt, We used Caveman Mechanics tactics, LOL. First thing we did was disassemble the complete exhaust system. Then we put the Y pipe back on and started it up checking the amount of flow coming thru which was quite good. We also checked the flow at the dpfe ports on the EGR tube which was very slight. Next we attached the rear cats back into the system and did the same test. Flow there seemed really good also and the same at the dpfe being a slight amount of pressure there. Then we reconnected the muffler and restarted it again. This time when checking the flow at the muffler it seemed like it was a lot less and the pressure coming from the dpfe port seemed a lot higher. Now the one thing I am not sure of is what the actual pressure should be coming out that dpfe port but I can tell you it sure seemed to be flowing out there with a lot more volume and pressure. Caveman mechanics at its finest !! LOL

RonSerling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
How old are the hoses?

When they get old they get hard and won't stay on. I went thru it on my F-150 roughly 5 years ago, any parts store should have replacement hose kits.

And they are special hose, fuel line may work in an emergency but it won't hold up to the heat (I tried)
Brand new hoses !! Yes !!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Everything you say points to clogged mufflers but. A vac guage costs less than 20 bucks at any parts store. That 20 dollar tool is the best diagnostic tool you can buy. It detects vacuum leaks, clogged exhaust, bad valves, even leaking heads. Even on the most sophisticated computer controlled engine a vac gauge is indispensable.

Hook it to a vacuum port on the manifold. Idle vacuum should be 20+hg. If you hit the throttle it should drop to near zero and snap back quick. Hold it open it should stay steady, if it builds up you have a clogged exhaust.

Get the guage...

RonSerling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
Everything you say points to clogged mufflers but. A vac guage costs less than 20 bucks at any parts store. That 20 dollar tool is the best diagnostic tool you can buy. It detects vacuum leaks, clogged exhaust, bad valves, even leaking heads. Even on the most sophisticated computer controlled engine a vac gauge is indispensable.

Hook it to a vacuum port on the manifold. Idle vacuum should be 20+hg. If you hit the throttle it should drop to near zero and snap back quick. Hold it open it should stay steady, if it builds up you have a clogged exhaust.

Get the guage...
Just talked to my SnapOn dealer. He didnt have one on the truck but is gonna stop back tomorrow and bring me one !! 466.63 teaspoons ??? Thats a whole lot of teaspoons !! LOL

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Buying a vac guage from a snap-on dealer... are you rich?

RonSerling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
I been buying SnapOn for over 25 years. I got enough of their tools to start WWIII !!! And it is always a great tax write off !! ;):)

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Hey... you do you... let us know what the results are of a full battery of vacuum guage tests.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Snoranger quietly walks away and closes his Snap on filled tool box.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
alwaysFlOoReD looks out at his Snap-On tool box wishing it was full of Snap-On tools....
20200130_165407_HDR.jpg

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Dirtman proudly looks at his tool box full of stuff that pre dates snap-on's very existence...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals