• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dorman trans pan with drain plug-thoughts?

cnj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi. Getting ready to do a trans fluid drain and fill (probably 3 cycles of it), and change the filter as well. The truck has 150K on it (I just got it 3 weeks ago). I don't think the trans fluid has ever been changed. It is reddish-brown and smells burnt. The good news is the trans seems to be working just fine. Seeing how I really don't like ATF baths, I only want to remove the pan once. I am thinking of installing a trans pan with a drain. Anyone used the Dorman before? Link: http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=77843&SEName=265-831
The truck is a 1998 Mazda B3000 4x4.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Since trans fluid doesn't need to be changed very often, like engine oil, a drain plug is just another hole that can leak, in my opinion.

I think money would be better spent on a second trans cooler, and just get a bigger wider container to catch trans fluid when draining :)
All automatics should have a second trans cooler, period, car or truck.

The color of current fluid is from running hot, now this can be caused by slipping bands but you said trans is works fine, so it was obviously running hot for long periods.

Trans fluid should not get above 200degF, under 185degF is best, Engine coolant temp in lower(or side) radiator is 170-180degF, where current trans cooler is located.
That doesn't give you alot of cooling for trans fluid especially when under load, like driving up a long grade, no trailer just the vehicle.
As load increases engine temp increases so radiator temp goes up, and trans fluid temp also goes up with load, soon trans fluid is above 200degF and that's when it starts deteriorate, discolor.
Second, air cooled, trans fluid cooler lowers it by 10degF adding miles to trans life, best $60 to $100 you'll ever spend

Trans temp chart here: http://myautomatictransmission.com/images/transmission_failure_chart.jpg

Last edited:

cnj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, and agree with the thoughts on adding a trans cooler, and my truck already has one that looks like it came factory (I think the 4x4/auto trucks got trans coolers along with larger capacity pans). Looks like I'll order the pan I linked above and give it a shot. Can't go wrong for $45.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, second air cooled trans cooler was an option or included in some packages.

But doesn't sound like it is working very well, ATF will get a bit brown with age but no burnt smell, that's from overheating.

Since you are "flushing" with a few ATF changes in a row, I would blow out the cooler lines, if possible backwards(back flush) against normal flow, get all the gunk out to give best cooling.

On the 4R or 5R(or A4LD) transmission the bottom cooler hose is OUT to cooler, top hose is IN from cooler

Last edited:

cnj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Personally, I like drain plugs on things.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I, at times, get a little anal about drain plugs loosening up. I clean the edge of the plug and the immediate area around the plug with metal prep cleaner and add a couple dabs of silicone. Certainly easier than adding safety wire or worrying. You can also buy drain plug kits and add your own.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Leak = escape as through a hole

Less holes = less leaks, simple math :)

Oil pan drain plug is just another possible leak point, but a necessary evil because of frequent, 3,000 mile, oil changes.

differentials and automatics need less frequent oil changes, so one less hole = one less leak point.

cnj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just closing the loop on this. What a great mod! It was really sweet to be able to do several drain and fills with just the loosening of a drain bolt. The pan itself appears to be a high quality piece, at least equivalent to the stock pan. Well worth the $50.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals