• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Does anyone use fuel additives?

Daily Driver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm! I'm wondering why one of the gasoline companies doesn't incorporate whatever it is in these wonder additives? If the shit really works, whichever gasoline company puts it in their gasoline would outsell all the others!
Oh I get it! If one does it then all the rest will add it too...then there won't be any gain..so why add it in the first place?
"Upper cylinder lubricant"... Where in the hell is it? And why would it need special lube?
Someone needs to tell Ford, GM, and maybe even MOPAR. Then perhaps the engineers will provide a method of lubricating that place.
P.T. Barmun was indeed correct. He is laying there in the dark six feet deep...clapping his hands in joy.
Big Jim
They do put this stuff in. Chevron Techron goes in their gas too. Some things don't seem to work but I don't know why someone could not believe that concentrated solvents can clean deposits. That is all it is. Do you think injectors stay clean forever in all motors? Valves never get dirty? The deposits never affect the way an engine functions? Is the only way to clean injectors to remove them and then what? You run solvent through them.

All gas is the same too right? No difference between name brand and generic? None are ever dirty and none leave deposits of any type?

Does the MAF sensor stay perfectly clean for 150k plus? The air is filtered so it should. The throttle body never gets gunked up either. That same gunk somehow disappears before it gets to the valves? The unburned fuel from the EGR systems never gets anything dirty either.They made carburetor cleaner for a reason. The carbs got dirty, visibly dirty. So do injection systems.

No need to flush radiators and cooling systems either is there? The stuff is good for 5 years and never leaves any scale or impurities, right? Why change the fuel filter? The gas is pure from the in ground tanks. Not. Does the fuel filter catch all impurities? Of course not.

I can't figure out why you'd want a lubricated upper cylinder either. After studying oil I have come to the conclusion that it is GENERALLY not a good idea to add anything to that. I don't see the problem with adding additional solvent to fuel on occasion, especially if there seems to be a problem.

As far as oil companies adding chemicals and automatically outselling others, cow puckey. If you build a better mouse trap the world won't do crap. You need to market it like Shell and Chevron. Then people need to buy your marketing effort.

Funny post though. Of course some stuff is junk, or at least less effective than other products.

masterbrenden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2010
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
3.0l v6/4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
i used berrymans injector cleaner for old gas and sticking injector and it cleared both up

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have to use a 15 ounce can of Berryman's B-12 Chemtool every tank, or my 98 Ranger turd will not start PERIOD! I went and got gas last week and decided to test out if it was still doing this, and yes, the next morning the truck would not start. Added a can to the tank, cranked and cranked and cranked and finally got it started again. Next morning it started up first try. As long as I keep some in every tank it will start, the one time I forget it will kill my Optima battery trying to get it started. So consequently I have a case of the stuff under the bed cover.

So I do believe injector cleaners work, and right now I just have no desire to pay $98 bucks a piece for 6 new injectors, tear off the intake manifold and change them. I got a low mileage 2004 Ford Lightning sitting there begging to be driven.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i use sea foam in my injector cleaner set up (engage inertia switch to turn off FP and then attach cleaner hose to fuel rail, hook up air supply and set regulator to appropriate pressure and then turn the key and fire it up), it cleans the injectors, valves, catalytic converter (if your truck has ever misfired or ran crappy this is a good thing to do), and then makes a nice smoke show! i do this about once or twice a year and i always feel an improvement in the smoothness of things.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals