• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Does anyone know about phone and text scams?

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just got a call about an hour ago from a lady that claimed to have hooked up with me and said she just went to the doctor and it did not look good. Before she went any farther I started asking how she got my number which she said I gave to her I then quickly hung up. About 10 seconds later I get another call from a "unknown" number. Somehow she knew my initials but not my name she kept calling me by my initials and also knew the town I live in. I then got a text message about 1 hour later sayin she "still loved me and wanted to tell me that." Now obviously none of this was true at all and the lady had a very thick (non american) accent and said her name was Nigle or something like that. I at first thought it was a buddy messing around but the area code is a 910 which looks to be in North Carolina (I'm in Minnesota). Now I have not called back or replied to anything because I am deathly afraid of identity theft and scams which this obviously is. Also I can't block this number from my phone today because my cell provider is off for Chistmas. I just want to know if anyone knows anything about this and how these people try and scam you or if anyone has had this happen to them? Also how do they get your information I rarely give my number out and usually give a fake number if I buy stuff online?

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
you sure its not someone you know? I've done that to friends before lol

Usually didn't last that long though 'cause my voice is far too deep to be believable as female and I can't keep from laughing.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Never provide information she doesn't already have and never confirm information of any kind. Don't give your name, address, phone, work info, or anything to this person.

This may be an extortion attempt (You're the father ... now pay up type of attempt). It may be identity theft attempt. NEVER admit even the remote possibility that you are the father when talking to her. Never provide information she doesn't already have. She may be recording what you say.
IF and only if it is possible that you are the father, get a PO Box, have her send confirmation of the pregnancy (hospital proof that you can confirm independently) and proof that you are the father (blood work or amnio) to that PO Box (without a name on the envelope), never let her send anything to the residence.
If she can't provide that information, deny all claims and make her prove anything.

If she can provide info, take that info to a lawyer for advice before responding.

Last edited:

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well there is noway info could be provided because it is absolutley untrue. I was just caught offguard for a minute and did admit to living in my town when she asked. I feel like a dumbass for admiting that but I hope nothing can be taken further if I just keep ignoring the call/text. How do these people get my number or worse my initials to my name. She did not however know my full name just my initials.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If your cell provider is Verizon you can block the number via the internet. Thats all I got.

Tommy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Google the phone number and see what comes up. You should also block your number and call them back some other time and hopefully get their voicemail where it says their name/company/etc.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals