• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Does a 1996 2.3L Ranger have a fuel pump shut off?

ellzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recently got a speeding ticket. I was caught on radar doing 78 in a 65. The ticket was written for 108 because he said i sped up. i was wondering if there is a shut off at around 90 something. Also does anyone beleive that a stock 1996 ranger can go 108?. Because i dont.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
All I can say is.........................WOW!

I don't think my 2.3 can even go that fast.....lol

I'd tell the judge that for sure. As far as a cutoff, I'm not sure because I don't think I've ever had mine over 110mph.

Allen

86isuzu

TRS Member Since 2003
Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
i believe theres a speed governor at 93 mph.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mines governed at 92... well, it was until I chipped it...

I would fight the hell out of that ticket, he says you jumped from 78 to 108? WTF?? Does he think you are flying a jet?!!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'd fight that... no way even a stock v-6 Ranger could jump speed like that before you were caught.

The stock speed governors vary a little, but they will top you out around 90-95mph unless they are bypassed by some means (chip usually).

That said, when I was younger and dumber, I had my Ranger up to 115mph. Only once. At least I was smart enough to know to take my foot out of it when it started to rain instead of seeing just how fast it would go. For whatever reason my speed governor didn't do it's job that time. I haven't had reason to test it though.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
108mph in a 2.3L Ranger. Very doubt full. You would need one hell of long stretch of flat road to achieve that. 78mph is no problem, but 108mph!?! I would fight that ticket.

I do believe the OBD-II Fords do come equiped with a speed limiter. Usually set at around 100mph. But I can't confirm, I've only had the 2.3L Ranger go up to 85mph for a short burst.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thats funny. I'd love to see any stock 2.3 other than a SVO do 108.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
I would say not possible with a 2.3, unless it's chipped. At the RPM required for 108, valves are very close to floating. Cop says you sped up after he clocked you? How far from the trap were you stopped? It would have to be a long way down the road.

Answer to the thread question... yes, it has a fuel impact switch. Passenger side footwell at the top of the flooring mat/carpet. White or red button on top of a black box.

Last edited:

blkmazda90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ok it is possible. Heres what you need.

A big ass long hill.

A lead foot.

And ignorance at all the noises it makes at this speed

Ive had mine going 105 in 4th lol (wasnt paying attention to rpms)

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wow... I'd need a really big hill to get mine to top 80mph.

What an a$$hole cop. Hey, at least he didn't tazer you. Lol.
You could try to *respectfully* argue your point to the judge and hope he lets you off easy, but they may well throw the book at you for 43mph over the speed limit. The good thing you having going for you is that the radar reading is quite a bit lower. You could even try taking it to a shop and see if they can print you off something validating that the governor is installed and untampered with, then try to find some type of credible paperwork stating the operating parameters of the governor to show the judge. You may get a cool judge who'll reduce it. Then again, I've known judges before who want to hear "guilty" or "not guilty" and nothing in between. It all depends on the judge. If he won't listen, tell him you want to come back with an attorney. Then, consult an attorney and decide if the cost and hassle of a trial would outweigh simply getting the ticket "fixed." The trial might be worth it simply for the fun of watching that cop squirm on the stand and making him look like an incompetent, lying. moron.
Good luck.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
FWIW, I've only had to fight two tickets, the rest were not worth fighting. The one I was marked as doing 74 in a 55... no way I was goin that fast, I was goin 62 tops. When I went into court, the judge hurried in, called me up to the bench, asked me if I was there because of the points. I said yea, mainly. He took out a big red pen and wrote 60 in a 55 and signed it. I was so shocked I asked him if he was allowed to do that. His answer was "I'm the judge, I can do anything, now get outta here an be safe."

The other was in front of a magistrate that has a rep of pronouncing a guilty verdict no matter what the proof for innocence, and even if you have a lawyer. That one I had to go to appeals court with a lawyer. (I wasn't going to risk losing a second time, it was over a ticket that was wrongly issued and caused me to be blamed for an accident.)

Take time to gather all the proof you could ever need. Proof that your truck is stock (pictures can work), proof that a speed governor is factory installed and not tampered with (may have to go to Ford for that one), etc.

Depending on your state, you may also be able to plead to a lower charge (failure to obey a traffic control device). 9/10 times they'll take that.

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
His answer was "I'm the judge, I can do anything
Lol.
That's no bull$hit.

Another valid point, if you have to retain an attorney is; The prosecutor I am betting, will be very willing to cut you a very nice deal (plea to a lessor, non point violation), or even drop the ticket if he can see that he'd lose in a trial. They'd rather drop charges than have an officer proven incompetent and become a mark for defense attorneys every time they issue a ticket.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would definately go to court. The chances that the cop won't show up is about 50-50. Not feeling lucky? Go to the radar people's website and other places on the web that shows radar is NOT infallible- it has to be hooked up to a continous power supply (NOT the cig lighter socket) you have to be out front on level ground, and there are lots of other factors too. Find them all out and print them out for evidence.

Cross examine the cop in court- ask him if/when he was in radar school. Ask if when he graduated radar school, did he recieve a certificate of completetion. Then ask if he brought a copy of that certificate to court with him. Then ask who calibrates the radar gun. Then ask how often they do it. Then ask if he keeps a record of this calibration. THEN ask if he brought a copy of that record to court with him that day. For everything he failed to bring, that discredits him- what he said was heresay without proof. Then point out in closing arguements that there is reasonable doubt that you were running above the speed limit- you proved radar isn't infallible, and the cop didn't bring documentation to back his claims, but you brought stuff to back yours. They should throw it out if you have some good stuff printed.

One final note- when you are presenting your evidence the prosecutor will make excuses to throw it away peice by peice "this doesn't pertain to this case" or whatever. Say "I OBJECT!" to anything they try to throw away and explain to the judge why that particular document is important to the case. He will normally let you keep about half of the stuff but should be enough to win. The more research and homework you have, the stronger your chances of winning...

Zodiac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recently got a speeding ticket. I was caught on radar doing 78 in a 65. The ticket was written for 108 because he said i sped up. i was wondering if there is a shut off at around 90 something. Also does anyone beleive that a stock 1996 ranger can go 108?. Because i dont.
Ha,ha,ha...:D Yep mine will do 108.....Off a high cliff maybe? Some of these cops, sheesh:mad:

By the way yes it has a fuel pump shutoff, but it has nothing to do with the limiter you're talking about. It's a switch, usually under the dash on the firewall. It's like a breaker reset if the truck rolls or is in an accident it's supposed to trip the switch. :huh:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I would definately go to court. The chances that the cop won't show up is about 50-50. Not feeling lucky? Go to the radar people's website and other places on the web that shows radar is NOT infallible- it has to be hooked up to a continous power supply (NOT the cig lighter socket) you have to be out front on level ground, and there are lots of other factors too. Find them all out and print them out for evidence.

Cross examine the cop in court- ask him if/when he was in radar school. Ask if when he graduated radar school, did he recieve a certificate of completetion. Then ask if he brought a copy of that certificate to court with him. Then ask who calibrates the radar gun. Then ask how often they do it. Then ask if he keeps a record of this calibration. THEN ask if he brought a copy of that record to court with him that day. For everything he failed to bring, that discredits him- what he said was heresay without proof. Then point out in closing arguements that there is reasonable doubt that you were running above the speed limit- you proved radar isn't infallible, and the cop didn't bring documentation to back his claims, but you brought stuff to back yours. They should throw it out if you have some good stuff printed.

One final note- when you are presenting your evidence the prosecutor will make excuses to throw it away peice by peice "this doesn't pertain to this case" or whatever. Say "I OBJECT!" to anything they try to throw away and explain to the judge why that particular document is important to the case. He will normally let you keep about half of the stuff but should be enough to win. The more research and homework you have, the stronger your chances of winning...
sounds like you have a little personal experience?? whatever you do, dont go in there thinking you are gonna lose. you gotta be confident in yourself or youre gonna get shewed up and spit out. then you get a ticket and court costs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals