• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

djm ?????? 3098 4-5

rs floors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I got my boxes in mail today with no u bolts or shackles
like I read the install paper and said came with shackles and well idk

im looking to get bed bolts from ford what else do I need?

like the clips for bed bolts?
ubolts?
shackle bolts?
control arm bolts?

kinda disappointed at the moment but need to get everything in order truck will only have two days on a lift and im changing a lot including the rear axle for an explorer with limited slip and well disc brakes but please help me

:beer:

I am a disabled vet in Pittsburgh pa

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got my boxes in mail today with no u bolts or shackles
like I read the install paper and said came with shackles and well idk
The 2/3 kit comes with shackles, but it's to lift the back end a little after the axle flip. I wander if maybe they use the same instruction sheet for both.

The 4/5 kit doesn't come with or need shackles. Once you flip the axle you'll have your 5" drop, the shackle in the 2/3 kit is to lift the back end back up to give 3" drop. With your Explorer axle you won't even need the flip brackets included either the 4/5 kit, that axle comes setup that way from the factory.

im looking to get bed bolts from ford what else do I need?

like the clips for bed bolts?
The only reason you would need any of those is if you plan to remove the bed. Are you planning to remove the bed? If you have access to a lift there's really no need to remove it. Even without access to a lift I wouldn't remove it for an axle flip.

This is my general peocedure for working on ground, modify as necessary for lift use. Put it on stands, leave the wheels/tires on. Disconnect everything from the axle except the u-bolts, leave the wheels/tires on. Support axle with floor jack, just under pumplin with weight of axle only on jack. Remove the rear spring to shackle bolt on both sides, and let jack down slowly, axle should drop to floor with jack. If it doesn't spring bushings might need a little careful (very careful with axle partially supported) coaxing with pry bar to come out of shackle. Once on floor remove U-bolts and axle should roll right out from under the truck. Reverse for installation.

ubolts?
shackle bolts?
control arm bolts?
I've never seen a lowering kit for a Ranger come with new U-bolts, but they may recommend that you use new ones. Can't give you a size on the U-bolts. If it were me I'd get the u-bolts with the Explorer axle, if nothing else you can use them to get new bolts in the correct size. I've never replaced them myself. Yes I've heard the stories, but people have been reusing them for a lot longer than those stories have been around. Aside from the NET the only time I've heard of u-bolts being replaced is changing to axle with different diameter tubes (like you're doing) or a damaged bolt.

Shackle and control arm bolts, reuse the ones you have. I recommend spraying them and all other bolts with a good penetrant at least daily starting a week before you plan to do the work. Use something like PB Blaster, WD-40 is a lube not a penetrant regardless of what the can may say.

Last edited:

rs floors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
djm c notch?

yes u did answer a lot of questions I ordered a c notch kit for the thing from djm as well and yes I am using explorer rearend now
I read on the instructions there id something to do with disc brakes on the ranger rear end but its all good
I found a lot of 95-01 axles now I just got to go to the junkyard and look at axle tags and disc brakes and miles and all that good stuff

but yes im taking off bed it might take me longer the first time but this thing has never been apart and yes it been getting lubed up with pb :)
but I want to pull off and paint everything might as well I got new leaf springs too
so it should turn out nice any pictures that u can put on my thread would be cool
ill try to take some of mine soon

thanks thou I would like to see if anyone else actually did the kit themselves
im found bags to just for rear but im still crawling here lol
but does truck sit on frame with the djm c notch kit ?

but long story short I'd like to get rearend and then paint everything at the moment and didn't know if people twisted the threads on anything

but I will have truck in shop soon this is the month finally

and I was looking for discounts on stuff if anyone works for a rep company

:beer:

rs floors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I realize its not a complete frame drop but do I need shackles to put bumper on the ground?
but how close does body come to ground ? or can go?
like im thinking about putting bags in rear for towing a trailer but I would like to be able to drop the rear bumper in the grass too. since the bags can handle the weight with ease im thinking so idk thou
i think i need to the lowest and just lift with the bags ?
any ideas ? ill listen

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are tons of questions here, but if you have an Explorer axle, you DO NOT need a rear flip kit. You can just install the axle above the rear leafs like they were from the factory in the Explorer.

You don't need the DJM notch with either the Explorer axle, or your ranger axle+flip kit, but it won't hurt, and may ride a bit more smoothly if you do the notch.

If you want to bag the truck, especially to lay frame, you'll need to lose the leaf springs all together for some type of link suspension. And you'll need a much bigger frame notch than the DJM one. A bigger notch means cutting up your bed floor too, so be prepared.

rs floors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
ya reality sucks

umm ya im not doing all this now
I had to pay the man lol
but I do have all the djm parts sitting in back of truck at the moment
which is the first step but with this truck I was thinking of putting new shackles to lower the back to the original frame point then of using the space from notch for suspension travel but I got heavy duty leaf springs which is just a extra spring in pak so im thinking if I completely empty firestones air bag helpers Ill still be able to drive and well use the factory suspension just need to get shackles sent to me now too and this axle I still haven't went pickin yet but they have plenty
id like to hear from people that have done or thought about doing something to this effect
and im running 235 45 17 tires on cobra rims is there any problems with clearance on front and or rear with body or wells ? with just the plain 4/5 but im thinking more like 4/7 or 8 im thinking rear springs r gonna be real tight figured id like to ride on air must of time anyway and which bags do people run of course if I can make it fast and fun ill do but found that firestone kit pretty cheap:icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals