• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DIN dash trim in a Post style(83) dash?

crazybronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I have an 83 Ranger and the dash has the old post style mounted radio. The PO installed a DIN radio and it fits bad. I have a dash bezel from a latter (86ish) Ranger that is good. Will it fit the 83?
Also, can the V6 dash with Tach be made to work in a 4cyl?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The dash bezel is interchangable 83-88 aside from the radio opening differences. The color patterns do seem to only come with certain openings though (what I have noticed in JY's)

I like the look of the straight grain bezel but I have yet to find one that didn't have the holes for the radio (or hacked up to fit a DIN radio)

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Somewhere where around 85 or 86, they also changed the warning lights. Pre-change there were 4 individual lights between the two gauges, after the change they went to one block with about eight different lights in it. The single block style will fir the 4 light style, but it won't look right (and light lenses are in the bezel so you'll loose them too), I don't believe that the 4 light style bezel will fit on the block style though. The year before the transition they made the 4 light style with the din style opening, but can't remember what year it was. You also have the option of getting the gauge cluster from the vehicle that you pull your bezel from, it'll bolt right in. If you're worried about the odometer the speedometer assemble can be swapped between the clusters, and from my understanding is pretty easy to do.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The dash bezel is interchangable 83-88 aside from the radio opening differences. The color patterns do seem to only come with certain openings though (what I have noticed in JY's)
Care to elaborate? I've only seen two factory color paterns, wood grain and brushed aluminum (I prefer the latter). The only differences I've seen in openings is the radio style and as mentioned above the warning light set-up. I've seen 4 lights with shaft radio, 4 lights with din radio, and block style with din style radio. I've seen each set-up (or at least pics of) in both colors. Not saying you are wrong but I'd like some more info incese I'd prefer what you've seen ot what I have.

I like the look of the straight grain bezel but I have yet to find one that didn't have the holes for the radio (or hacked up to fit a DIN radio)
I may have one you could get, I'll check this weekend and see what I have. I know I have the following:

Brushed Aluminum, 4 light, shaft (hacked to fit a DIN)
Brushed Aluminum, Block, DIN
Wood Grain, ?????, Din (I think)

I don't like the wood grain so I will not be using that one unless I repaint it, and I have the brushed one so I don't need two.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Somewhere where around 85 or 86, they also changed the warning lights. Pre-change there were 4 individual lights between the two gauges, after the change they went to one block with about eight different lights in it. The single block style will fir the 4 light style, but it won't look right (and light lenses are in the bezel so you'll loose them too), I don't believe that the 4 light style bezel will fit on the block style though. The year before the transition they made the 4 light style with the din style opening, but can't remember what year it was. You also have the option of getting the gauge cluster from the vehicle that you pull your bezel from, it'll bolt right in. If you're worried about the odometer the speedometer assemble can be swapped between the clusters, and from my understanding is pretty easy to do.
I have had both styles in mine, I like the earlier one better.

Both my original (that a PO drilled a bunch of holes in) and my current one have the four idiot light holes and service a DIN radio. The one off my '86 parts truck had the one big hole for the lights and was also DIN compatable.

Care to elaborate? I've only seen two factory color paterns, wood grain and brushed aluminum (I prefer the latter). The only differences I've seen in openings is the radio style and as mentioned above the warning light set-up. I've seen 4 lights with shaft radio, 4 lights with din radio, and block style with din style radio. I've seen each set-up (or at least pics of) in both colors. Not saying you are wrong but I'd like some more info incese I'd prefer what you've seen ot what I have.

I may have one you could get, I'll check this weekend and see what I have. I know I have the following:

Brushed Aluminum, 4 light, shaft (hacked to fit a DIN)
Brushed Aluminum, Block, DIN
Wood Grain, ?????, Din (I think)

I don't like the wood grain so I will not be using that one unless I repaint it, and I have the brushed one so I don't need two.
This is just what I have noticed in JY's.

Burled woodgrain (all curvy) DIN (what mine has always had)

Brushed metal (I always thought it was an attempt at stainless :icon_twisted:) both ways.

Straight grain, looks maybe like walnut: only seen with the post style radio. I can't find a pic of it online but the pattern looks similar to what the higher end 80's fullsize trucks got.

crazybronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well last night I swapped the dash. I had a block style and had to pull the lens off of the guage to fill the hole. The lights don't light the right things but looks fine. I may try to find the right one later.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If I recall correctly the 1985's came with a "DIN" radio but only the four warning indicators in the middle of the dash.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals