• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Diesel powered, ALL FORD 05 Ranger

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends

Dalpilot

2010 STOTY Winner
MTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Guys, I would like to say thanks to everyone on here for everything you have done. So many have done so much for me since I started this project nearly 3 1/2 years ago. I had such great plans, and great dreams, but unfortunately, the cost has been high and the toll has been paid by my family. Traveling for a living makes it hard to have a family, and being gone on top of that working on a truck, or going to an event puts an added strain on the things that actually matter.

We ran a best of 11.86 at Pinks all out, with a sad 1.9 60' and nailing the brakes so we wouldn't hit the car that was skidding to a stop just past the finish line. Its the fastest I have gone, and the fastest the truck has gone and we did it, (unbeknown to us) on fuel only. Far short of the hype I had played in fun, the smack that has been talked, and far short of the expectations I had.

I am sure their will be plenty who will call me a quitter or any number of things. I personally say to them, try it yourself, walk in my shoes, and pay the price I have paid, then talk to me. Never the less, I have contacted those who have sponsored parts, and helped me out so much on this project. I have offered to return everything that I can as this was never about making a profit, especially off of someone else, (What I have invested far outweighs what was sponsored). I promised 6 events to everyone at a minimum and I gave 8. I put it in the public eye as much as I could, got it in magazines and on TV and did my best to make it something for everyone to be proud of. I feel ok about my decisions.

I have made no decisions on what I will be doing with the truck, but selling it is definitely an option at this point. Its got what it needs to be a runner, it was built well and is a solid foundation. I simply will not lose more than I have possibly lost to take it a step further. I have raced it for the last time. I will still be around here, perhaps not as much, but will be here. The cost to continue is simply too great, (I am not talking financially so let me quell any rumors of my financial demise). Thanks for understanding.

Tim

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Guys, I would like to say thanks to everyone on here for everything you have done. So many have done so much for me since I started this project nearly 3 1/2 years ago. I had such great plans, and great dreams, but unfortunately, the cost has been high and the toll has been paid by my family. Traveling for a living makes it hard to have a family, and being gone on top of that working on a truck, or going to an event puts an added strain on the things that actually matter.

We ran a best of 11.86 at Pinks all out, with a sad 1.9 60' and nailing the brakes so we wouldn't hit the car that was skidding to a stop just past the finish line. Its the fastest I have gone, and the fastest the truck has gone and we did it, (unbeknown to us) on fuel only. Far short of the hype I had played in fun, the smack that has been talked, and far short of the expectations I had.

I am sure their will be plenty who will call me a quitter or any number of things. I personally say to them, try it yourself, walk in my shoes, and pay the price I have paid, then talk to me. Never the less, I have contacted those who have sponsored parts, and helped me out so much on this project. I have offered to return everything that I can as this was never about making a profit, especially off of someone else, (What I have invested far outweighs what was sponsored). I promised 6 events to everyone at a minimum and I gave 8. I put it in the public eye as much as I could, got it in magazines and on TV and did my best to make it something for everyone to be proud of. I feel ok about my decisions.

I have made no decisions on what I will be doing with the truck, but selling it is definitely an option at this point. Its got what it needs to be a runner, it was built well and is a solid foundation. I simply will not lose more than I have possibly lost to take it a step further. I have raced it for the last time. I will still be around here, perhaps not as much, but will be here. The cost to continue is simply too great, (I am not talking financially so let me quell any rumors of my financial demise). Thanks for understanding.

Tim

there are many people still mad at me right now as i disappeared from home and went to northern mi. i heard quitter from some as recently as two hours ago cause they need help right now :dunno:

kind of shitty as i wasnt a paid gun, but simply maintained/assembled quite a few types of rides in the detroit area pretty much for free comparatively...and family wise it was just too much before i even went back to the oilfield work,

once lil bob was approaching 2 and taking shit apart everyday and i was winding down my businesses while also drilling oil just trying to survive, i just didnt have it in me to work on someone else hotrods anymore...

i cant tell you enough about the respect i have developed for you ever since the concept of this i was seeing at the rps site, taking a break is probably for the best when you come to this type of issue. your experiences were definitely painful at times:icon_surprised:.

maybe just let someone else run it for a spell...:dunno: a group of the sponsers perhaps and let em dial er in and just kick back for a bit...

in any case thanks for doing it, you really made some history with this project, and i for one appreciate it!! :icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

best to ya and your family whatever you decide!:icon_cheers:

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry to see the truck go one of my all time favorite rangers, truely one of a kind! Everthing happens for a reason i'm sure there wil be another ranger to build down the road just maybe not so "built" as this one. Hope to still see ya a round. :icon_thumby:

Dalpilot

2010 STOTY Winner
MTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
OK, so I lied. Turns out it wasn't my truck causing problems, it was my wifes Boyfriend. She's gone, trucks in the garage being freshened up. Vids to come soon.:icon_thumby:

Dalpilot

2010 STOTY Winner
MTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well not nearly as bad as before. Last year testing the day before we left for TS, I blew a freeze plug during a test run, but didn't know it. We looked at a video later and saw where it dumped all the water on the track and that is when I got all sideways. By the time we got back to the pits there was nothing and I mean nothing dripping. Got to TS ran it and got it back to the pits when Doug noticed it seemed low on coolant water. He was right. We tried to fill it and it poured out the back of the block....where the freeze plug was missing. LOL

Ran it without a cooling system and towed it from that point forward. :badidea: for a 6.0 :doh: Ran it last at Pinks all out, and it was down on power, and by the time we had finished, it had blowby out the thermostat housing. Its been sitting since as I go through my own personal hell, but finally got it torn down. Not too bad. Head gaskets were definitely blown. and the intake air temp sensor was melted and bent in the direction of airflow. apparently the Water injection systems, (2 of them) were not enough. There is no room for an intercooler, so were putting a HUGE water injection system on it. Here are some pics.

No melted pistons or anything abnormal.

IAT sensor melted

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
holy crap.. how have i not seen this before????!!!!!!????

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
hey that's a pretty nice place.. lol

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
nice to see you back at it again.

Dalpilot

2010 STOTY Winner
MTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Good to be back.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to hear about the lady, glad to see you back to work on the truck!

TOPDOG2007

August 2010 STOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome back DalPilot!!! :icon_cheers:

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry to hear about the lady, but glad to see you back with the Ranger!

You won't believe how many times I have had people talk about their V8 Chevy's, and I say "Well.. I know of a guy who has a 1000HP Ranger.."

Dalpilot

2010 STOTY Winner
MTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oh well, I loved the hell out of her, but too bad.

Here is the video of when the plug let go. Nice easy run just to check the systems and the shifting, then I nailed it and bam. At 24 seconds or so you can hear the rev limiter, then if you look close you can see it dump the water out right under the back wheels, then it gets sideways 3 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtDgTwzu7W8

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals