• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Detroit Axle vs TRQ vs DIY Solutions

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Replacing the front Axle shafts and wheel hubs on my 2500 Ram. The Detroit Axle stuff is $101 more than TRQ or DIY. I’ve never heard of DIY and I can’t find reviews. TRQ is like Russian roulette… sometimes you get a good part, sometimes you don’t… Detroit Axle is supposed to be the good stuff but I have heard that recently their quality has dropped….

anybody use TRQ or DIY?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Replacing the front Axle shafts and wheel hubs on my 2500 Ram. The Detroit Axle stuff is $101 more than TRQ or DIY. I’ve never heard of DIY and I can’t find reviews. TRQ is like Russian roulette… sometimes you get a good part, sometimes you don’t… Detroit Axle is supposed to be the good stuff but I have heard that recently their quality has dropped….

anybody use TRQ or DIY?
Ive got a few TRQ parts on my 97 F250. cant remember what off hand....but i havent had an issue.

Actually i think it was the fuel pumps/senders

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Detroit axle has never been the good stuff
Just go with the TRQ from 1AAuto, lifetime warranty and customer service is excellent.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Never tried DIY. Had a few TRQ parts over the years with no real issues. Mixed results with Detroit Axle. My buddy has had a lot of good luck with Detroit Axle, but I’ve had mixed results. Bought stuff from Rock Auto until I got tired of being screwed by them. Most of my parts anymore come from Summit Racing or Autozone. Getting a commercial account at AZ was a game changer really. I don’t have to deal with front counter “help”, my parts get delivered to me, and I get a more competitive price. Plus if there is a problem, I just have to make a call.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Yeah I can’t find any not fake reviews on DIY Solutions. I got the shafts out and they are straight so I’m just going to replace the u-joints. Anybody ever use this tiger u-joint tool and the u-joint press? Because my vise with hardened impact sockets is not going to press these u-joints out…. And I don’t have a shop press.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
Never tried DIY. Had a few TRQ parts over the years with no real issues. Mixed results with Detroit Axle. My buddy has had a lot of good luck with Detroit Axle, but I’ve had mixed results. Bought stuff from Rock Auto until I got tired of being screwed by them. Most of my parts anymore come from Summit Racing or Autozone. Getting a commercial account at AZ was a game changer really. I don’t have to deal with front counter “help”, my parts get delivered to me, and I get a more competitive price. Plus if there is a problem, I just have to make a call.
How does one become eligible for a commercial account? You've piqued my interest.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I can’t find any not fake reviews on DIY Solutions. I got the shafts out and they are straight so I’m just going to replace the u-joints. Anybody ever use this tiger u-joint tool and the u-joint press? Because my vise with hardened impact sockets is not going to press these u-joints out…. And I don’t have a shop press.
I never tried the tiger tool but supposedly it’s way better than beating them to death, but I haven’t bought one yet. My preferred method so far is a 4# sledge and a large grade 5 bolt.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
How does one become eligible for a commercial account? You've piqued my interest.
You have to have a business. Since I’m a General Contractor and do all of my own work to both my equipment and the business stuff (technically my F-150 and F-350 along with one of my tractors are business equipment), I qualify. Just had to give them all my business stuff including the Federal tax ID and they approved it.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
You have to have a business. Since I’m a General Contractor and do all of my own work to both my equipment and the business stuff (technically my F-150 and F-350 along with one of my tractors are business equipment), I qualify. Just had to give them all my business stuff including the Federal tax ID and they approved it.
Darn. So no discounted parts for me then.

But cool that you can do that through your business!

B964

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Detroit axle has so many enticing low price parts and kit.
I tried rear brake pad and rotor kits for both of my Volvos and worked great. Low dust, no noise, stops good.
Tried their loaded front strut kits for both and both terrible. Noisy and harsh ride.
TRQ I think was brand of wheel hub and bearings I used and had no problems.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I never tried the tiger tool but supposedly it’s way better than beating them to death, but I haven’t bought one yet. My preferred method so far is a 4# sledge and a large grade 5 bolt.
I use an impact socket. Beat em out....once they are out i clean the inside of the yoke up and smear a very light coating of grease on the inside....then i can usually hit just harder then a tap and they plow right in

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I use an impact socket. Beat em out....once they are out i clean the inside of the yoke up and smear a very light coating of grease on the inside....then i can usually hit just harder then a tap and they plow right in
I used to use sockets, then I got tired of hammering on a socket. I’d have to look, I think it’s like a 4” long 1” diameter bolt I use. Rounded the head off a little to use to drive some bushings out so it’s a multi-purpose tool, lol. I’ve taken to cleaning the yokes and using a thin film of grease too. Rust belt problems, lol.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I used to use sockets, then I got tired of hammering on a socket. I’d have to look, I think it’s like a 4” long 1” diameter bolt I use. Rounded the head off a little to use to drive some bushings out so it’s a multi-purpose tool, lol. I’ve taken to cleaning the yokes and using a thin film of grease too. Rust belt problems, lol.
I dont use good sockets lol.

I bought this set years ago at a yard sale for like 5 bucks. They dont have a name on them and i use them for all sorts of various things.

I dont even own an impact gun lol.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I dont use good sockets lol.

I bought this set years ago at a yard sale for like 5 bucks. They dont have a name on them and i use them for all sorts of various things.

I dont even own an impact gun lol.
I currently have 3 impacts, lol. Two battery powered and an air. The battery powered stuff does most of the work because they both are better (1,100 and 1,400 ft/lbs for the battery stuff and 725 ft/lbs for the air). Honestly I think the bolt is way better than any socket I’ve used. I actually keep one of those bolts at home and one at my buddy’s place, lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals