• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Delancy auto garage in elkton, md---do not use!

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good Day,

Just spreading the word about a local garage here in Elkton, MD 21921 that is horrible. They installed a clutch in a vehicle of mine because I had no time between work and college and ended up screwing my truck up.

They completed the job, but before I even left their parking lot my clutch pedal stopped engaging. The guy came out like he knew what had been screwed up, and hose-clamped a piece of rubber hose to hold the pedal on the assembly saying "this should hold it together...it's an old truck." WOW. I had no choice but to leave this jerry-rigged crap on there, at least until I replaced the part that they broke.

After putting about 100 miles on the new clutch, there was some kind of catastrophic failure with the truck. While driving around 50mph the starter engaged but before I was able to shut the truck off everything died, both mechanically and electrically and there WAS A FIRE UNDER THE HOOD.

The optima red-top battery had exploded...literally, the terminals and wires melted, the starter solenoid was on fire, the starter was fried, and both the starter and flywheel had missing and broken teeth. In short, the truck had been totaled.

After having another shop look at the truck, they gave an estimate of 2 weeks and a possible repair bill of $3,500! I spoke with both Ron Johnson and his wife who acts as his secretary, who said "There is nothing I can do for you here. The truck is old, an 88', and has been modified by the owner. We cannot be responsible for damage caused by the driver. This had nothing to do with our shop or work performed, and we WILL NOT cover these repairs."

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Man! Sorry about your truck and the way they "repaired it".

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Without knowing what caused the starter to engage (under its own power apparently) it is kind of unfair to blame them for that.

There isn't anything really electronically involved with changing the clutch and they would have known that you wouldn't be very inclined to pull the trans back out for a new flywheel and starter right after you put a clutch in it which would kinda rule out "sabatage"

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Kind of sounds like some old dry rotted wires got the coating broken off during the swap and then crossed and caused pandamonium. Pandas everywhere!!!

I actually did that changing fuel lines on a 73 dually. Didn't realize the coating had cracked on the starter wires until I hooked up the battery and shut the hood.

I do hate you had such a bad experience. I've had hose clamps hold on shift linkages for years btw.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals