• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Deciding on which Ranger, need help

dragonryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am looking for a used little truck to deliver pizza's with and run to work in. I seem to be running into alot of rangers for sale. I have a friend who is a ranger guru but can be undependable when it comes to help so I thought I would check here. Right now I am looking at 2 Rangers: 1.) is a 1988 ranger ext cab with the 2.9 v-6,5 speed, and 2 wheel drive. I test drove the truck and despite the 180000 miles it ran good and strong. It has a rebuilt tranny and a lsd added to the rear and alot of bondo on the bed but I like it. Problem is that the engine has that tap and my ranger guru buddy said stay away because that means the heads are gone or about to go. Nice thing is that the truck is inspected and emission tested for a full year 2.) is a 1996 ranger ext cab with the 2.3 i-4, 5 speed and 2 wheel drive. I'm going to look at this truck this weekend but it is supposed to be in decent shape with almost 190000 miles on it and inspection runs out soon. I can pick up either one for about a grand but not sure which I should get. I'm looking for reliability, easy to work on and availability of parts. Any sugestions? :dunno:

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Either would be just fine for getting parts. The 96 would probably be a better just because its a four cylinder, better gas mileage than the 2.9L. As for the 2.9L, I'd say it's just bad lifters. My 2.9L has a pretty bad tick when its ran for high RPMS for a while, but it goes away. I think nothing of it now.

dragonryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm willing to sacrifice a little milage for more power. I just don't want to buy a truck that going to blow up in a month

souldoubt88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i'd go with the 88

CJREX

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
With a used truck at 180k+ miles, either could blow up without much warning. It is entirely dependent on how it was maintained.

That said, I'd go for the '96 simply due to the amount of bondo you mentioned in the other truck.

Also, availability of parts heavily favors the '96 since the 2.9 has been gone since around '92. And the 4cyl is near everywhere.

Worst case and the engine does let go you'd have an easier time finding a good 4cyl than a good 2.9. Plenty of 2.9s around, GOOD being the word that disqualifies a lot of them.

dragonryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With a used truck at 180k+ miles, either could blow up without much warning. It is entirely dependent on how it was maintained.

That said, I'd go for the '96 simply due to the amount of bondo you mentioned in the other truck.

Also, availability of parts heavily favors the '96 since the 2.9 has been gone since around '92. And the 4cyl is near everywhere.

Worst case and the engine does let go you'd have an easier time finding a good 4cyl than a good 2.9. Plenty of 2.9s around, GOOD being the word that disqualifies a lot of them.
yeah that was what I was thinking but the 88 already has a lot of things replaced or rebuilt that the 96 doesn't ..........yet

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Personally i'd go with the 96'. Reasons?

1). Better brakes
2). Better diagnostics
3). Nicer dash
4). 2.3 is 10x more reliable and easier to work on than the 2.9.
5). The truck is that MUCH newer, therefore it's less likely to be at that point of nicle and diming you to death.
6). M5od is a better 5spd than what's in the 88.

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd go for the 96' 4 cylinder simply because you said you are going to be using it to deliver pizzas and commute to work. It sounds like you'll be doing a lot of driving to earn your money. The more gas you use, the less money you are making. Gas mileage will obviously depend on how well you keep whichever engine maintained, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are times you have trouble breaking even delivering pizzas in the 2.9.

That being said, there is a fair number of people on this forum that swear by the 2.9 for reliability. If I were you, I'd go for the 4cyl unless you are going to be using it to pull loads.

dragonryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, sounds like the 96 maybe the way to go, just have to test drive to see how it runs. I don't know why but i really liked the little 88 with the flat black spray painted body, guess it just looked like a truck rat rod. How much difference do you think the power is between the 96 -2.3 and the 88 - 2.9

dragonryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd go for the 96' 4 cylinder simply because you said you are going to be using it to deliver pizzas and commute to work. It sounds like you'll be doing a lot of driving to earn your money. The more gas you use, the less money you are making. Gas mileage will obviously depend on how well you keep whichever engine maintained, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are times you have trouble breaking even delivering pizzas in the 2.9.

That being said, there is a fair number of people on this forum that swear by the 2.9 for reliability. If I were you, I'd go for the 4cyl unless you are going to be using it to pull loads.
Nah I got a 06 Dodge Ram for loads but unfortunatley I have a heavy foot and have problems getting mileage from 4 cylinders because I push them to hard

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
quite big difference, the 2.3 was rated for about 100hp i think, but its a bit more reliable, and part are easy to find, if its ext cab,dont expect that great power, but its a great engine, takes loads of abuse and never fail, also gives decent mileage

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nah I got a 06 Dodge Ram for loads but unfortunatley I have a heavy foot and have problems getting mileage from 4 cylinders because I push them to hard

Thanks, sounds like the 96 maybe the way to go, just have to test drive to see how it runs. I don't know why but i really liked the little 88 with the flat black spray painted body, guess it just looked like a truck rat rod. How much difference do you think the power is between the 96 -2.3 and the 88 - 2.9
Based on the fact you already have a work truck (V8 Ram) go for the 96', its a no brainer.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
96' for a pizza truck older one for a fun truck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals