• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Decent Cat for a 1997 2.3l?

Sweersa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
My truck is a 1997 2.3l XLT. Previously I was going to replace my exhaust system from everything behind the cat and back (muffler, pipes, exhaust tip) and now I am thinking of even replacing the cat itself as it sounds like it is rattling. I am getting very bad highway MPG and I suspect this may have something to do with it.

Everything around the cat pipes and fastener wise is quite rusted out as I live in the rust belt and I feel it should be replaced anyway.

Has anyone had good luck with the MagnaFlow Direct-Fit Catalytic Converters?

Here is the one I have been looking at here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-23389/?rtype=10

It should fit my 2.3l as it says. I would appreciate any feedback or advice on my situation and the cat I am thinking about buying.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i would be curious to find out why your cat got hot enough to burn the mesh up around the bricks and make it rattle? usually it is due to a rich condition caused by bad temp sensor, dirty of faulty maf sensor, etc. as far as the magnaflow cat goes it looks legit to me. no one is going to take the time to replicate such an intricate piece of equipment only to have it not perform well (i wouldnt think anyways). the price looks good and it looks to be a quality piece, my merit exhaust cat for your truck retails at 262.39 and it is esentially the same as far as appearances go.

Sweersa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
i would be curious to find out why your cat got hot enough to burn the mesh up around the bricks and make it rattle? usually it is due to a rich condition caused by bad temp sensor, dirty of faulty maf sensor, etc. as far as the magnaflow cat goes it looks legit to me. no one is going to take the time to replicate such an intricate piece of equipment only to have it not perform well (i wouldnt think anyways). the price looks good and it looks to be a quality piece, my merit exhaust cat for your truck retails at 262.39 and it is esentially the same as far as appearances go.
I notice the heat shield around my gas tank is coming apart and also makes noise, but I don't think it is the rattle. That gas tank shield is coming off because a few holes burned into my muffler and it is blasting the side of the tank. I wonder if it is my muffler making the sound rather than my cat.

Like I said before I would just be at peace in my mind to replace the entire exhaust system. But as you said I hope whatever caused the problems before doesn't screw my current damaged system up.

What exactly is the MAF and how can I check it and its components?

Last edited:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
maf is your mass air flow sensor and it should be located near your air filter, in the air intake stream somewhere. auto parts stores sell special cleaner for the MAF that comes in and aerosol can so you can remove the sensor from its housing and give it a good spray off. do you or have you had a check engine light on recently? cats dont just go bad because theyre old, some thing up stream in the system has to go wrong and stay wrong for a period of time before the substrate will catch fire and melt, the brick will crack, or the substrate becomes covered in carbon deposits and can no longer do its job effectively.

Last edited:

Sweersa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
maf is your mass air flow sensor and it should be located near your air filter, in the air intake stream somewhere. auto parts stores sell special cleaner for the MAF that comes in and aerosol can so you can remove the sensor from its housing and give it a good spray off. do you or have you had a check engine light on recently? cats dont just go bad because theyre old, some thing up stream in the system has to go wrong and stay wrong for a period of time before the substrate will catch fire and melt, the brick will crack, or the substrate becomes covered in carbon deposits and can no longer do its job effectively.
No, I have never gotten a check engine light. I do get an odd warning type beep in the cab but it has always randomly happened and I think that is an unrelated wiring issue. Occasionally it happens constantly then just goes away. All of my gauges check fine. Maybe my O2s caused things to run rich and that tanked my cat.

manger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FAZDA
Engine Size
2.3l Dual Plug
Transmission
Manual
I've installed a magnaflow cat. I had to slot the holes on the flange to get it to work. it's made of thin stainless steell and is light. I did not notice a difference in performance. it may not get as hot as the factory cat and may foul the downstream o2 sensor. I'm gonna reinstall my factory cat after I weld the cracks up. my factory cat is a two pellet design. where most replacements are one.

Sweersa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
I've installed a magnaflow cat. I had to slot the holes on the flange to get it to work. it's made of thin stainless steell and is light. I did not notice a difference in performance. it may not get as hot as the factory cat and may foul the downstream o2 sensor. I'm gonna reinstall my factory cat after I weld the cracks up. my factory cat is a two pellet design. where most replacements are one.
Thanks for the info, with that I may reconsider buying that magnaflow cat, sounds like it is a bit on the cheap side. When we cut out my stock muffler we will try to see of my stock cat actually needs replacing. Hopefully the sound I hear is in my muffler, as it has a number of rust holes. My heat shield also makes noises and I will secure that as well.

So with the magnaflow cat would you say it made your MPG worse or better? That is my main purpose to gain performance and MPG. If it can foul the downstream O2 sensor I would imagine it wouldn't work towards better mileage.

Maybe for me, if we determine my current cat is good, I will just stick with replacing my muffler and maybe both O2 sensors as they are stock.

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
I had a magnaflow cat installed on my 97 2.3L ranger also. Only difference was mine was welded on, and the downstream 02 sensor was removed, only had the upstream one. All this was done before I bought the truck, and it didnt ever rattle, rust, or anything. And thats all I had as far as restriction on my truck, it was straight-piped into duals out the back and sounded awesome :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals