• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 50 ifs from F250

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I never said it was a better setup in the rear of a truck than a solid axle. The rear axle on a real truck will always be SOLID, thats what makes it a truck. Solid axle is simple, and strong, and suited for a work vehicle. period end of story.

But I particularly didn't like what the one person said about "just let these axles die already" that was what I was referring to. TTB has special niche of the offroad crowd and I will be sad the day no one knows what TTB was and when it can no longer be found in junkyards.

TTB in the rear would be an interesting, and very original idea for a rear axle. That does not mean it should be on a hauling truck though as TTB has camber/castor issues with a load.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I never said it was a better setup in the rear of a truck than a solid axle. The rear axle on a real truck will always be SOLID, thats what makes it a truck. Solid axle is simple, and strong, and suited for a work vehicle. period end of story.

But I particularly didn't like what the one person said about "just let these axles die already" that was what I was referring to. TTB has special niche of the offroad crowd and I will be sad the day no one knows what TTB was and when it can no longer be found in junkyards.

TTB in the rear would be an interesting, and very original idea for a rear axle. That does not mean it should be on a hauling truck though as TTB has camber/castor issues with a load.
i was thinking he was referring to the pic earlier in the thread of mine with the rear ttb.....though i could be wrong about that.

i know exactly what you mean about the attitude of some people concerning these systems,and the loaded camber issues is why i stated that it is not the best choice for an f350....these trucks are intended to haul large loads a large percentage of the time,not just on occasion as the ranger and f 150,and to a lesser extent the 250 are.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was thinking he was referring to the pic earlier in the thread of mine with the rear ttb.....though i could be wrong about that.
That along with the opening post of the thread.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That along with the opening post of the thread.
jeez...i forgot about that!

had to go back and check to see what this thread started out as again:icon_rofl:

KLAKEBRONCO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
One thing that helps close the gap in flexibility is in the newer low COG setups. Like my truck. A truck that has big tires, and isn't lifted very high doesn't have alot of uptravel. Bump stops have to be used to limit bottoming. When you do this much of the "articulation" is no longer "forced articulation" You are simply relying on the droop of the axle. Which the TTB does fine with.

Another plus is with this setup, running TTB allows the truck to be lower-big tires with 3" of lift. You can't SAS on the fullsize and only lift 3"

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
I don't mind seeing them being used. And i'm sure some of you have done some amazing things with them. But by no means are they stock ttb's. And in my opinion upgrading with a solid axle is easier than a ttb, and for most budget minded people it is better. But just my opinion.

I do think they make some sweet ass looking front ends for fast moving off road wheeling like desert and fire roads....

But if the TTB would have never been thought out I'm pretty sure somebody would have designed something that would work just as well if not better.

One thing that helps close the gap in flexibility is in the newer low COG setups. Like my truck. A truck that has big tires, and isn't lifted very high doesn't have alot of uptravel. Bump stops have to be used to limit bottoming. When you do this much of the "articulation" is no longer "forced articulation" You are simply relying on the droop of the axle. Which the TTB does fine with.

Another plus is with this setup, running TTB allows the truck to be lower-big tires with 3" of lift. You can't SAS on the fullsize and only lift 3"
I see no reason anyone cant SAS a full size and only have 3" of lift, besides full size trucks have been coming with solid axles for years.....I'm guessing your limiting factor is the center section? Because really the rest is pretty identical....But it is not much larger than a ttb center.....
My ranger is sitting at 5" of lift with 39.5's and I could have went lower with the 60 center not hitting anything(with 351w and 7qt oil pan.... Just tires meeting fender wells.....Which wouldn't change no matter what axle I am using....

huggyb1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87'
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3l soon to be Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I like the Idea of TTB it's a all Ford idea but I did SAS my FSB. My Ranger on the other hand will be a TTB setup but I have not set on which one but I am looking at air ride as a possibility due to lack of weight.

KLAKEBRONCO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't mind seeing them being used. And i'm sure some of you have done some amazing things with them. But by no means are they stock ttb's. And in my opinion upgrading with a solid axle is easier than a ttb, and for most budget minded people it is better. But just my opinion.

I do think they make some sweet ass looking front ends for fast moving off road wheeling like desert and fire roads....

But if the TTB would have never been thought out I'm pretty sure somebody would have designed something that would work just as well if not better.

I see no reason anyone cant SAS a full size and only have 3" of lift, besides full size trucks have been coming with solid axles for years.....I'm guessing your limiting factor is the center section? Because really the rest is pretty identical....But it is not much larger than a ttb center.....
My ranger is sitting at 5" of lift with 39.5's and I could have went lower with the 60 center not hitting anything(with 351w and 7qt oil pan.... Just tires meeting fender wells.....Which wouldn't change no matter what axle I am using....

4" is about the bare minimum lift, and that is with a D44 solid axle. Which is going backwards in strength vs the 44/50/60 hybrid TTB.

I guess 3" with a D60 might be possible but it would take removing the entire engine/TTB crossmember and fabbing a new one.

lepp1892

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmm... What if you don't want a steering TTB axle out back... would it be possible just to weld the knuckles to the arms? I think it would be very interesting to see how that setup would do....

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmm... What if you don't want a steering TTB axle out back... would it be possible just to weld the knuckles to the arms? I think it would be very interesting to see how that setup would do....
you wouldnt weld the knuckles,you would just use solid mounted tie rods.this would also allow adjustment of rear toe and toe change characteristics.

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
I guess you have done all of these because you seem to know for sure....

Maybe were comparing apples to oranges here....I can tell you that I can lower the front of my ranger roughly 6 more inches before the center comes close to the cross member... But I wouldn't have any up travel at all and the tires would be at the hood. I don't think pumpkin to cross member is the limiting factor in more peoples minds, as it was not in mine because its been modded as you said....But I guess some people would rather build a TTB whatever than modify the cross member. I went the latter route, moved the front end forward about 4, mostly to improve approach angle, and modified the cross member.
So instead of spending money I dont have on an weaker setup, I went bigger and moved stuff around a little.

Either way..... You can have your TTB and ill take a d60 and be done with it...

4" is about the bare minimum lift, and that is with a D44 solid axle. Which is going backwards in strength vs the 44/50/60 hybrid TTB.

I guess 3" with a D60 might be possible but it would take removing the entire engine/TTB crossmember and fabbing a new one.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess you have done all of these because you seem to know for sure....

Maybe were comparing apples to oranges here....I can tell you that I can lower the front of my ranger roughly 6 more inches before the center comes close to the cross member... But I wouldn't have any up travel at all and the tires would be at the hood. I don't think pumpkin to cross member is the limiting factor in more peoples minds, as it was not in mine because its been modded as you said....But I guess some people would rather build a TTB whatever than modify the cross member. I went the latter route, moved the front end forward about 4, mostly to improve approach angle, and modified the cross member.
So instead of spending money I dont have on an weaker setup, I went bigger and moved stuff around a little.

Either way..... You can have your TTB and ill take a d60 and be done with it...
different strokes for different folks, most people bah the ttb because they dont know how to work it...it can be everybit as strong as the d60

there are several guys on pirate putting d50ttb's and one off custom ttb's in highpowered buggy's

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My biggest peeve is that it doesn't really take much for it to be a fairly crappy plow... either for snow or mud. The thing hangs down pretty low.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with a cut and turn you ca gain alot of GC

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i wish i still had my pics from that hard drive....i built a 6'' lift d50ttb cut and turn on an f250 that used the stock height brackets(and longer d44 arms)that had more clearance under the pumpkin than you usually get under the beam.
it looked(and rode)like a prerunner.had to use a cv in the center joint to get the angle needed for the axle,though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals