• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana 44 vs dana 60

Tyler Brisson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i was wondering what axle would be better to run 35's-38" tires on a 93 ford ranger xlt 4.0? i mean dana 44 axles are hard to find around here in nh and feel like i could easily get my hands on a dana 60 but im still lookin to be road legal too.... another question i have is would i need to get the axle narrowed or would fender flares do the trick??? any input on that would be great!!!

Thanks let me know guys!!!

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
60 is better

they are about the same width

you can cut down just about any solid axle

tire coverage depends on your state law

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If you can get 60s all day for cheap then go for it. Around here they are gold and go for around $1000-$1200. I can get a 44 for about $150. Throw some chromo shafts in and be good to go for a v-6.

Don't know about the narrowing, everyone runs full width here.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you can get 60's cheap,gimmie your address...................Im on my way with a truck and trailer!

94BonB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L, 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Either axle will have to be from a ford because your going to need a driver side drop. The 44 is going to be a much cheaper swap because of the widths. 1 ton axles ie the 60 is 69.5 in wide where as the 1/2 ton stuff ie the 44 is 66.5 inch wide. narrowing the 60 will require having the axle shafts shortened because as far as I know (anyone can step in and correct me if I'm wrong) but nobody does aftermark narrower shafts for a 60 cause the wider the better is the norm. Where as the 44 can be narrow to almost match the ranger wheel base and you can run after market chromo shafts for an early bronco (which is what I would do). If you choose the 44 route you can even avoid narrowing the axle if you find an early bronco axle only problem is its low pinion and harder to find. I would just go full width HP 44 from a 1/2 ton truck or full sized bronco.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals