• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 35 "click" noise

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I have a question about my 03' ranger 4.0l FX4. I'm pretty sure that the front diff is a Dana 35.

So I've noticed when I first got the truck that I can go underneath and hand turn the front driveshaft and I notice it will turn, then feel like gritty sand or something in gears, then click and thats all it will turn (with the wheels on the ground) The four wheel still works, but is loud which could be my t-case which was screwed up (I'm rebuilding it now).

So my question is this noise normal or if not what might it be an indication of? I really don't want to pull my whole front axle off the truck if I don't have too.

Thanks!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The front driveshaft shouldn't turn more than a tiny fraction of a rotation if the wheels are on the ground (like 1/32 of a turn at most).

Do the gears feel gritty when the wheels are off the ground and you can turn it in full rotations?

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'll take a look at that the next time I jack it up. Probably today or tomorrow

Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals