• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana 30/driveshaft issues....

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
ok so i have a low pinion dana 30 from a 96 jeep grand cherokee and im having trouble with getting the driveshaft to not be too steeply angled... ive got an 84 ranger 4x4 with the stock transfer case, it has the splined slip on connection and i cant figure out how to get it to work with the new axle... has anyone encountered this problem or know how to deal with it? my local driveshaft shop was no help, thanks for any info!

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You are pretty much stuck with the steep driveshaft angle with a low pinion 30. Not a whole lot you can do but if you run that axle make sure you have the double joint by the transfercase.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
If I had known that you were going to put a LP D30 under her I would have said hold off and find a HP one.

As for driveshaft, I have the same setup as you minus the LP D30. All I did was tell the driveshaft place to extend mine 2 inches (thats what it needed) and they made me a whole new one for $150. They used the ends off my factory shaft and welded them to my new one.

Pics are in my build thread of my setup and somewhere in there my driveshaft and whatnot.

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
ok cool thanks for the info, ive also got this other idea that to me sounds like it might end up with a pretty trick set up... so the cherokee came with a brand new rebuilt tranny/transfer case and i was thinking that maybe if advanced adaptors made an adaptor for that tranny to mate with my 2.8 it would make the transfer case farther from the axle and eliminate some steepness, it also has a u joint connector instead of a spline joint which is better i think, the only downfall of that case that i can think of ids that there is no 2wd.... what do you think of that?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It wouldnt be worth the time or money to do that. Since you did say you have a 302 you are going to be throwing under her in the future then I would spend the money to do that then try to adapt a jeep tranny to a ford engine.

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
thats true, idk im just speculating on all the things i could do... but i think i found a place that has u joints that you can swap with the slip joint on the transfer case and that would make it able to have a double u joint and im hopeing that that will fix the problem

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you get rid of your slip joint then you will have to put one on the drive shaft. Put a double cardon stop on it and that should help.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a LP in mine on the stock case. CV joint at one end and its not to steep.

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
but yours is 10 years newer, doesnt it have a u joint on the case? mine has a slide joint and the local driveline shop said that cv joints dont work with a slide joint

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Heres a picture of my front driveshaft when I got it back from the driveshaft shop and how it is under my truck.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Swap the front output shaft go with a cv. Plenty of guides around on that. That angle however doesn't look any worse than the slip yolk style rear on my xj. Length is about the same as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals