• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

daily doubler build

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You do know you have to disassemble the doubler to install it right? You have to feed the allen screws into the clocking ring attached to the main case through the face of the open crawl box. Just in case you need some instruction here are some pages I had bookmarked already for when my kits come in.

http://www.rrorc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28480&page=2
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487225
I'll try and not take that as an insult lol. yes, of course I know it needs dissasembled to mate it to the second case. I figured I'd put it together when I took pics so people could see what it is rather than a bunch of parts.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Im kinda new to this. What is a crawl box? I am assuming some sort of T-case mod for some hardcore 4x4???

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, didn't mean for it to come off that way.

Im kinda new to this. What is a crawl box? I am assuming some sort of T-case mod for some hardcore 4x4???
A 'crawl box' is also called a 't-case doubler' or just 'doubler' for short. It is the front half of a regular transfer case mated to a second full t-case. The purpose of a doubler is to increase gear reduction thereby producing slower crawling speeds and increased torque.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Dave-yes, there's a company that sells them new. I'll PM you their web address.

Evan and Todd-I didn't know you guys DD'ed your rigs for a while. I enjoy hearing all the success stories, it helps reassure my decision to DD mine.

Yeah, you'll be fine running this doubler in a DD. I'm sure it's even better machined than mine or Todd's, as we did everything with hand tools, i.e hand drill, angle grinder, etc. Your doubler was probably made in an actual machine shop.

You also have a better/stronger sector shaft that's one piece. We used a two piece shaft that can break if it's not made just right or if the doubler is used incorrectly. While I have never had problems with mine, I know Todd broke his. Not sure what he's running in there now.

How do you plan on shifting the cases?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
(thanks for the info junkie).
:icon_thumby:

Lookin' good!

Just be sure to keep that big-ass heater away from those empty fuel tanks (bombs) while you're working on it :eek:

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
littlered-no prob man. I appreciate the help but I'd hate to be in my shoes if I was tackling this not even knowing how to mate the cases haha

junkie-I'm sure to keep the heaters away from ALL fuel sources. hell it was 57 today, if this keeps up I won't even need the heaters. Illinois weather is somethin else

evan-I read of people breaking their home brew shafts, that's why I decided to go with a kit rather than making one myself. the one piece hardened chromo shaft will be strong enough I'm sure. I wheel it pretty hard at times but I always remember that I've still gotta drive it home. my main concern about DDing it was sufficient lubrication at extended highway speeds. hopefully I've got that coverred by relocating the fluid fill location as well as the breather hose.

as for the shifters, my rear case is a 1354E so there won't be any problems there. I've got the stock shifter for the front case as well so we'll see how it all bolts up when I get to that point. hopefully there won't be too much involved to make it work.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
got the fuel pump shortened up and installed last night. had to take off a good 4". I don't think you could go much shorter without taking off the sending unit.

I know that's not a very good pic, the hose on the return line is only an inch long. that's how short we had to make it. as for the float, my guage will be acurate when I'm empty. my tank will be full when my guage reads ~2/3's full. I could've modded the arm but I'd rather know when I'm empty rather than full.

started getting everything wired/plumbed. fun stuff

and another pic of those sweet straps I made

by the looks of things I won't get the doubler in this weekend. I'll shoot for getting the tank completely done, fabbing a filler neck to the inside of my bed and herculining my bed. that way I'll be driving it again for next week and I'll tackle the doubler install on another weekend. I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
welp I got it back on the road with the new tank. got everything together and painted it up all nice

the tank holds right around 13gal. I put 1 gallon in it to make it to the gas station then pumped in 40 bucks, which made it completely full and like 11.9 gallons.

I've got a question though, what would the fuel guage do if I were to get the 2 wires running to the sending unit switched? with the tank completely empty it read full and when I filled it up there was no change. its reading like a quarter tank past full. I went ahead and reset my trip so I'll know when I need to gas back up but I'd like to get the guage to work halfway if I could.

I already had the wires wrapped up before we started it so I couldn't check to see if I had the wires crossed or not.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
make sure it is grounded good...and the orange wire is connected.

theres alot of sploders daily that have doublers the last few years, look around. the last 10 years theres shittons of k trucks doublered/trippled out west running daily.

toyotas up the yang out west as well. even eb's...cali is packed with em.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
trippled is just unnecessary lol. I was talking specifically the DD 1350/1354 doubler but its good to know there are others cruisin the streets.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
trippled with the 203/205 shit isnt that much...8 to one...running a 3 spd auto with 410 gears and 38's i thought it ideal way back then...that truck had problems with mounts though iirc....i run across it in 01/02 when i was looking at diesel stuff. big white burb that run moab and colorado..

of course 38's were still considered "big" then too:woot:

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i gonna try a 1350 and a divorced 205

littleredrangerhood

March 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
with the tank completely empty it read full and when I filled it up there was no change. its reading like a quarter tank past full.
I had the same problem when I switched to a BII tank. Still haven't gotten around to figuring it out. Interested to see what you do to fix it though. Good luck.

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same problem when I switched to a BII tank. Still haven't gotten around to figuring it out. Interested to see what you do to fix it though. Good luck.

might try the B2 gauge cluster. rangers have a 17gal, B2's have 23

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I talked to an electrical engineer today who happened to come into my work. I told him my situation and he said I've just got the wires switched. I can't tell cause I've got the wires wrapped up and tucked away. we'll see about his credibility tomorrow when I try it. hopefully it works.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals