• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

daily doubler build

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Awesome pics!

I ran a few sets of 35s on my 03 7.3L SD. It weighed 8000+# and I usually got 20k out of a set of tires. I ran a set of Toyos, MTZs, MTRs (originals) and the Coopers. The Coopers STTs out lasted them all going almost 32k miles. Good choice!

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
We have STTs on the rear of our dually farm truck, it only sees pavement when its loaded to the max.lol and they are 90% with over 15K on them, but then again they are load range D (or E?) so I am sure they are a bit harder rubber.

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Curious to see how those tires do in mud in your opinion vs the km2 and mtr. I planned on getting the stt next and since your from Illinois and I live in southern Indiana I'd like to get your opinion on how they do on the trails we have in this area.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
How many miles did you get out of your km2's and the kevlars?

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From what I found, the Toyos were more expensive than the Coopers. I got these for just under 300 bucks a piece.

Good to hear the solid reviews on them. My odometer doesn't work, so I don't have an accurate number for the KM2 and MTRK mileage, but I literally got 1 year out of both of them (replaced within 2-3 weeks of install date the following year). I would approximate about 20k miles. That being said, I had a welded rear for the entire life of the KM2's and for half of the MTRK's life. I have an OX in the rear now, so that should help me out big time in regards to tire life.

hockeyryan

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
I ran some used cooper stt on my ranger before the sas and i loved them. The wear was pretty good if I must say. I got them with about 60% tread left and ran them for a year and a bit.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
More good news. I think they'll do well. I just need to get them on the rocks so I'll truly know how they perform. Also of note, these 37's are indeed load range D for what that's worth.

I was bouncing back and forth with Kage a couple weeks before the trip, trying to decide which hand held GPS I wanted to go with. He talked me into a Delorme. While I agree with most of the reviews (software is difficult to learn), it did everything that I needed it to while on the trip and I'm sure it will come in handy for future trips. Here's some screenshots from our tracks we left:

Kane Creek Canyon

Hell's Revenge

Strike Ravine

Flat Iron Mesa

GoldBarRim to GoldenSpike to PoisonSpiderMesa

The waypoints on the maps are ones that I added before the trip so we knew the location of the trailhead, finish, and any notable obstacles along the trail. After we got home, I found that the FunTreks guide book had downloadable .gpx files that will have waypoints that correspond with the guide book. Had I known that before we left, it would've saved me a substantial amount of time. Now I know, haha.

Does anyone else have a Delorme GPS? It would be awesome to share maps. The Garmin file sharing network is huge, but I haven't really found much for Delorme.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for OTOTM!!! That's awesome.

I think I pulled through an engine mount in Moab, but I haven't pulled it out to check. I have new engine and trans mount on order. They should show up by the weekend, so I can get them swapped in before the next wheeling trip.

I'm taking a vacation day on the 20th and plan to run down to SMORR to wheel with Kage. It'll be the first true test for the tires. I'll be sure to report back.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Congrats, Bray. Looking forward to the rest of the tire review. I've been thinking of getting a Delorme, I'm liking the reviews I'm hearing...

SVT

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The wheeling opportunities just keep piling up. I just caught word that there will be a local mudbog this coming weekend. My mounts came in, so I'm hoping to get them swapped in tomorrow, check out the bog on Saturday (all the while trying to stay as clean as possible, haha), then we'll be heading to SMORR a week from tomorrow. The tires should get tested in nearly every type of terrain. Good stuff.

I use the Delorme quite a bit. It suites me quite well, but I'm far from a expert with the software. It takes some serious studying. Also, I've found that it doesn't collect data points quick enough to give me accurate mileage for my mountain bike trips. I compare it to a phone app, and it's usually about 1/2 mile short for an 8 mile ride or so. It needs more frequent data collection to capture the quick twists and turns of our mtb trails. That's my only complaint thus far.

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Well deserved OTOTM

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Str8sixfan. It's quite the honor.

Well I got my motor mounts swapped in last Friday, then I survived a mud bog on Saturday, haha. My buddy invited some people over for a play day, so I thought I'd partake for old time's sake. The pit was in perfect condition IMO. Swampy enough that you could have some fun, though not so wet that you were coating your engine bay in mud. We ran around all day long without getting stuck until the very end. The same place that the powerstroke got stuck, as well as another Ranger on rather large (38? 39.5? boggers). No pics of the other Ranger. I know - that's a fail. You can see it on the trailer in the background.

I have to give my plug for BubbaRope. This thing is truly incredible. Stretches like no other. I yanked this full size out with one good yank.

Tires did excellent. I was even ripping around in 2wd for a bit. I had them aired down to 8psi. They cleaned out and dug hard. Definitely a decent soft terrain tire.

I've been cleaning the rig ever since. I just went through the front axle tonight. Wheel bearings checked out fine and I got the brakes all cleaned up. Tomorrow I'll go through the rear axle and clean up the brakes back there.

Looking to top off fluids and load up Thursday afternoon so we can leave Friday in the AM to meet Kage down at SMORR.

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
This truck literally does it all
:icon_thumby:

EDIT: I look forward to SMORR pics. My dad has a house within 90 minutes of that park.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We had an awesome trip. SMORR is a badass park. No mechanical damage, but I wiped out my bedside on the waterfall on Rattler. I'll try to get pics up soon. I'm officially on the hunt for a clean bed.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I'll make you a deal on a blue one...

Sent from my XT907 using CrapaTalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals