• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D35 with a 5.0

mudnsnow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Anybody here have a 5.0 Ranger with a d35 front end ? What's part have you broke while mudding.....Under my 1983 Ranger i have a D28 and i think it's too weak to handle the 5.0 and the 31 MT tire. I have broken 2 passenger side axle shaft(U joint broke and destroyed the shaft) while mudding/play in snow with my friends. Do you think the D35 is much more stronger ?

My plan is to get a 90-96 Ranger D35 front axle and a 8.8 rear end with 4.10 gear from the junkyard. I will need the D35 steering linkage too.I will have to shorten my front d-shaft 0f 1 and a half inch. All is bolt on.

Do i forgot anything ???

1983 Ranger V8 5.0L EFI swap(from Bronco FS) AOD, BW1356, D28,7.5 rear 3.73 gear.

JeepRecoveryTeam

May 2009 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xlt ranger
Engine Size
Cummins 6bt
Transmission
Manual
I dont think you will find 4.10s in a 90 to 96 ranger most had 3.73 Maybe if you look for a ttb explorer and take the 35 and 8.8 out of that youd have beter luck finding 4.10s.

mudnsnow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for that tips ;) JeepRecoveryTeam, i love your Nickname lol

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
i have heard mixed opinions on all of the topics you are discussing. typically an open diff will have large amounts of wheel spin that breaks shafts when it gets traction. you cant really blame the shafts/joints for breaking if they were original or OLD, i have lost factory u-joint caps on the road before on my d28 and 31s, if i was not paying so much attention i would of made a big mess. if you replace all the joints, lubricate the slip joints and run manual hubs on a d35 you should not have a problem even with a 5.0. if you tend to stand on the gas in an attempt to make a climb or anything else you will break stuff, period. lots of guys who dont wheel "hardcore" can get along just fine with a d28 and a 5.0. personally, i would get a locker and a d35 and call it good. so far i have made it 3 trips beating the piss out of my d35 running 33s open without failure.

mudnsnow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
I know that a part of the problem of the axle-shaft is sit just behind the steering wheel ;-) I want something that i can beat a bit more without breaking all apart. A rear locker(probably a powertrax) are in my plan. And for the front one i think i will keep it open cuz the ranger is my DD and it run on 4WD 4-5 month a year during winter.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
all i can tell you is i BEAT the shit out of my b2 running a open d35 with 2-3 inches of lift and xj coils running bias ply 33 12.5 15 TSLs. the d35 is a tough setup as long as it is taken care of. if you re-build the front end before you install it you should not have a problem running 31s. dishtowel would be a good guy to PM he is running a b2 with a similar setup to what you are talking about and i have never seen him baby it. i THINK he is running 35s now.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I dont think you will find 4.10s in a 90 to 96 ranger most had 3.73 Maybe if you look for a ttb explorer and take the 35 and 8.8 out of that youd have beter luck finding 4.10s.
Pretty much the only chance you have is a 90-92 2.3 4x4 ranger/2.9 auto 4x4 ranger, any explorer that has 4.10s is going to be after 94 (no longer TTB) and any 2.3 rangers after 92 will have a D35 hybrid.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals