• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D0VE-C Heads....do i need them and are they worth it?

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
so i got a reply to my craigslist ad today, the guy has a set of D0VE-C heads that he wants 300 bucks for, they need to be milled and they need rockers which is alright cause i ordered roller rockers today anyway :icon_twisted:

Pics:

are they worth it? i have til the 19th to decide, as thats when hes gonna take a ride down this way.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
In all honesty , ANY modern aftermarket head will out perform those in every way. Add the cost of rebuilding the stockers - valves, guides, seats, springs and resurfacing ( and who knows how many times its been done already ) the aftermarket heads make a lot of sense.

t120r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
DOVEs will not net you much more power than you have now for an equal compression ratio. The D3s you have now are good heads. I would spend the money on the D3s and keep your compression to a manageable level. Especially with the 270H cam you ordered. You need a lower static compression ratio to work with that cam. The 10.5:1 you'll get with DOVEs will make that cam useless without a REALLY big dish in the piston. Save the money and do the block work I suggested and it will run a lot better. As for aftermarket heads, stay the HELL AWAY from Procomps. Go to 460ford.com if you wanna see why. You are looking at about $1500-$1600 for a set of FRPPs. You can sometimes get a good set of edelbrocks cheaper on ebay. I recomend staying with your D3s though. I read an article a little while ago that shows how they can support $600+ HP when properly ported. That cam you selected will get you in the 450HP range with gobs of torque.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
What he said! Seriously now though, do you need them? No. Are they worth $300? No. Before someone argues this, let me explain myself. $100 got me a d0ve-a5 reverse 460 block with d0ve-c heads in mint condition. $300 for heads you'll still have to sink money into is out of the question. If they were priced a.little more reasonably and assembled and ready to bolt on i'd say go for it.

t120r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it were me, I'd stick with D3s. Then I would deck the block so that the pistons are 0.005" out of the hole. That way if you use a 0.045" compressed gasket (common Felpro), your quench will be next to perfect. That will increase your compression ratio, mileage and detonation resistance. Cost me $80 to do that in Toronto, so I know it will be cheaper in the states... Everything usually is. If you're gonna be loading up the engine in the mud like you say, then you'll want it on the safe side when it comes to detonation. Cheap insurance:)

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
meh, told the guy i have to pass on em.....thanks guys!

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
The only thing bad about this is you can't take them somewhere to have them checked for stress cracks. Several of my buddies had the DC heads and they seemed to have some issues with stress cracks. It is hard to have them checked out before you buy them since you don't know the guy. Have you been to look at them, or just waiting for the reply you got?? If you go look for any signs of repairs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals