• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cutting whips ???

tmaxxman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
OK this may be a dumb ??? but can you cut whips down and if so how would i do it i have 4 foot ones on my truck there to long for me to put on my garage i can pull in just fine its backing out that is the problem they cant bend down like they do when i pull in so i wanted to cut them down so they don't hit my garage door it would be about 1 foot i would have to cut off of them to fit
but i don't want it to look dumb any help would be appreciated :icon_thumby:
or is there some other way i can mount the to not have to cut them:icon_confused:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Rangered06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1987
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6/2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
make up a swivel mount that just requires a pull of a pin to lay them into the bed. would require a little extra effort to get in and/or out of the garage but it would keep your look u got going. Plus you wouldn't have to cut them even though i think it is possible to cut them. It will just reduce the range on them i believe don't quote me on that though.

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Wire snips? I don't think cutting the antennas will degrade the cosmetics of your truck. It is already 3/4 primer and 1/4 black in the first place. No offense, just pointing it out.:icon_cheers:

Rangered06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1987
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6/2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic

something like this might work as well i believe it might work for your application goes between your mount and antenna and if i remember correctly they hold them up straight great till u grab it to bend it over

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
what about tie downs like military humvees

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
get a longer antenna and make it go over your cab and tie off somewhere on the side of hood. not on hood but like directly to the side of it. ohh...
or you can mount it to end corner of your bed just run longer wire, and tie it off to top of your cab at the back, thatd be like 6 feet of antenna if you let it reach the rear of cab.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

Bam. google is my god.
If you notice springy bottom of antenna, it allows more flex, but you also need a more flexible antenna.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
To the O.P. if those whips are name brand like fire stix or wilson yes they can be cut down. The rubber cap should could come off the end very easily, use cable cutters to cut them and put the caps back on. However you will loose some range by shortening them. The pivot that Rangered06 posted works very well for this application. I have seem them sold in the c.b. antenna area at Pilot truck stops.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
fine dont go with my idea w.e! plus i dont know if that antenna is FM or not. but thats for you to google if you like the idea. i think it looks good, i didnt expect to find a ranger photo.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1, those white antennas aren't whips,

2, no you cannot cut those down without doing serious damage,

3, driving into your garage and bending them is already damaging them

your best solution is loosen the antenna from the mounts, and screw them in hand tight, so you can unscrew them when you pull in, and put them back on when you need them...

those springs help, so i'm told, but not as much as i think you need... i do plan to get one for my truck, just to take the stress off the mount, with the antenna swaying on the highway and 4x4ing

you can also get twist lock connectors, like these

which will be gotten along with my spring, and i will also be upgrading my coax

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To the O.P. if those whips are name brand like fire stix or wilson yes they can be cut down. The rubber cap should could come off the end very easily, use cable cutters to cut them and put the caps back on. However you will loose some range by shortening them. The pivot that Rangered06 posted works very well for this application. I have seem them sold in the c.b. antenna area at Pilot truck stops.
if you don't care what your SWR is...

honestly, i would not buy a non tuneable antenna, or a trim to tune, as so many things can change your SWR, including a good hit to the antenna, or a kink in the coax

fishman67

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your swr gets to high, it will take out your finals. Use a spring or a swivel mount, or if you do shorten them, do not shorten the wire. after you do it, get an swr meter and set it up. Lee

tmaxxman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
if you don't care what your SWR is...

honestly, i would not buy a non tuneable antenna, or a trim to tune, as so many things can change your SWR, including a good hit to the antenna, or a kink in the coax
i don't know yet i haven't got a swr meter yet and i just got the whips from a junkyard for 2 buck hell no one around here talk on them anyway but i like how whips look on a truck :secret:

tmaxxman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
got the problem fixed now and i didn't have to do anything but bend them to the side a little and put them under my razorback just to get in and out of my garage i don't see were that will hurt them

[/IMG]:icon_hornsup:

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Lmao then it isn't worth investing alot. Since you don't really use them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals