• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cut fenders, dif covers, etc (97 Ranger)

azaizai

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well, its begun!

Before and After shots

Did it with a harbor freight 4.5" grinding wheel with a cutoff blade on it. Took a little getting used to, but once I got on a roll, it was no problem!

Finally got my bumper installed...its not really made for a ranger (actually an exploder) but it seems to work just fine.

and I got my new lock-right installed and a decent dif cover to protect everything. Last time I was out I scraped the flimsy steel thing that was on teh cover and it leaked for that next week. No more!

Thanks for looking! Hope to have the front fenders finished this weekend...and maybe have hte front bumper trimmed and back on as well. Big labor day wheeling trip planned!

Oh...here's somebody that dropped by to watch me work. Wasnt the least bit scared of the spark shooting spinny machine in my hands.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks good but i would have cut the fenders higher, or at the top edge of the flares

azaizai

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ya, I got a little nervous about going that high...by the time I cut and fold the rough edge back under the fold should be that line where the old plastic flairs ended.

Thats the theory anyway

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
why did you cut your fenders? I have the same firestone mts in the 33' variety, and can stuff them front and rear, and I have the stock fender flares on. Sorry, just looks kind of hacked to me now...

97TrailRigDD

August 2011 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
My 33s rub . So I will be cutting my some day like yours . Been looking at flexy flares to use after they are cut . You might check them out . But looks like an improvement to me .

azaizai

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
why did you cut your fenders?
Well, I'm cheap. Thats the best answer for it. I've only got a used leveling kit and a 3" body lift. The 33's tuck and roll just fine 80% of the time...but the last 2 wheeling trips the MT's grabbed ahold of the plastic flairs and ripped them off. I was in a real flexy situation...so it was unique...but I'd rather not have to stop halfway up a hill to remove my flairs from my tires and then try to get going again.

I dont know if I'm going to put a new flair on it...I was really annoyed with how often they got knocked off, rubbed or ripped.

I'm still planning on rolling/folding the bottom edge so it should look a little more professional and (hopefully) stick out a little further.

Thanks for the comments!

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you can fold a new lip into the fender with pliers, a hammer, and a jigsaw. take your time, and it will turn out well. with the new lip, you can also get those small universal rubber flares for a 'finishing touch"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals