• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

custom driveshaft

thebison

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
ranger 1988
ma
Make / Model
Ranger ex. cab
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey all, im swapping in my 8.8 this weekend, im going to need the bigger u joint flanges as my trucks an 88, so while in the process im going to cut the exlplorer driveshaft and my existing one to make one solid drive shaft for the rear, im going to try and balance it myself as there is no driveline place nor do i want to spend the money? is this a bad idea? do i have to put it on a lathe to get it perfectly balanced?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Really getting the thing straight will be more important than balance. I've made a few driveshafts with zero problems and only one had vibration only due to a bad slip yoke. If you get it straight you will have little problems with vibration. Personally I have had my driveshafts up to 140mph with no problem at all. To balance a shaft you are going to need a lathe of sort that will allow the shaft to spin freely to find the heavy spot. From there you will need to find a way to weigh that imbalance or guess with weight to get the shaft neutral.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals