• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

custom diff cover?

TX Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
anyone try making their own diff cover? am interested in a little more gear oil capacity and save $160. I figure it's not rocket science. I'll use current diff cover as a template for bolt pattern and gear clearances and just fab it up deeper. will also have the opportunity to install a drain plug.

looking forward to pics sent in...

TX Ranger

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
some have welded plate to their stock one.. wouldn't increase oil, but why do you NEED more oil? yeah, more oil aint bad but....?

someone made one, don't remember who it was tho.
just model one after the ruffstuff diff cover, that thing is a beast

bigblockford79

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979/93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I made this one for my 60 front, I did it just to see if I could. What a PITA, the only way I would ever build another one is if there wasn't one available for the axle I was using.

But if you still want to go for it I traced the outline of the stock cover onto a sheet of steel, measured the width of the sealing flange and offset that distance from the traced line to make the outer ring. From there I plasma cut that piece out, drill the holes by clamping the stock cover to the ring and transfer punching the holes. Then I bolted the ring to the diff and using cardboard, proceeded to test fit all the individual panels that would be welded together and create the rest of the cover.

I had a Plasma cutter, welder, drill motor, and lathe at my disposal to build mine, the lathe was used to make the bungs for fill and drain plugs which you could buy instead of making.

TX Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
very nice, a lot prettier than what I had in mind. i'll be going for the booger welds and mad max look ;missingteeth; I have all of the machinery minus the lathe. I was planning on welding a high grade nut to the outside of the cover seeing that my rig doesn't see trail use.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i was thinking about building one for my 8.8, but like bigblock said, it looks like it'll be a PITA. all i have is an angle grinder and a welder. here's what i was thinking of doing, but it'd take me forever without access to some other tools (plasma cutter, cnc laser, etc.)

i'll probably end up cutting up the stock one and adding stuff to it, that'd be the easiest way.....for me

bigblockford79

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979/93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i was thinking about building one for my 8.8, but like bigblock said, it looks like it'll be a PITA. all i have is an angle grinder and a welder. here's what i was thinking of doing, but it'd take me forever without access to some other tools (plasma cutter, cnc laser, etc.)

i'll probably end up cutting up the stock one and adding stuff to it, that'd be the easiest way.....for me
You can still build a cover with the tools that you have, but cutting out the center from the bolt flange will become much more challenging.

Its like the saying goes "where there is a will, there is a way" just depends on if the spending the extra time can be justified when the end product can be bought somewhat afford ably.

The cover I want to build next is a billet cover for my 8.8, I would use aluminum for the bling factor and since its a street truck strength is less a factor than weight is.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Didn't make a cover, but a protector.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
thats what i had in mind, just making a guard to cover the bottom half of my cover. if a jagged rock punches through the guard them i probably deserved it for playing in the rocks in 2wd. do you recall what size rod you used, 1/2" - 5/8"?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I dont know. I just had it sitting here. I am sure the price isnt much difference to go with a thicker rod though.

And to the op, you may want to invest in a premium membership, and enter the April drawing for a Ruffstuff cover.

Last edited:

TX Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm runnin a 7.5", those are some sweet covers though, love the sketch.
Eddie,
but it'd take me forever without access to some other tools (plasma cutter, cnc laser, etc.)
Ever thinking about fabbing up the pieces needed to build it per your sketch out of some paperboard/cardboard and taking them down to a machine shop/welder? Couldn't hurt, might be cheap...?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm runnin a 7.5", those are some sweet covers though, love the sketch.
Eddie,

Ever thinking about fabbing up the pieces needed to build it per your sketch out of some paperboard/cardboard and taking them down to a machine shop/welder? Couldn't hurt, might be cheap...?
yeah, def thought about that. ballistic fab does custom metal cutting. i have a couple 3d modeling programs as well as a layout program, all you have to do is send them the file and they'll cut it out. i might could find a local place to do it. but everyone around here i call is only open during the day, which is when i'm at work.

i'm gonna get a metal chop saw in the next few days (i've got a trailer i need to redo and i aint cutting all those pieces with my angle grinder), so i could cut out the plate. i was gonna use a combo of 1/4" and 1/2" solid bar, stack the 1/4" in some places for strength.

TX Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Chop saw will help for sure, but even a torch would be better IMO, wouldn't make butter straight cuts like a plasma, but if you're proficient enough, definitely good enough to weld.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
if i can find someone to make the outer ring, i'll def make my own. it may not be cost effective to get ballistic to cut it out and ship it here. you can get one of those nodular diff covers from the bronco graveyard for $75+shipping, i think it's around $98 shipped, but i dont recall.

i do have access to an acetylene torch, my grandpa has one....so that's always an option to cut it out. i could do enough of it with the torch and clean it up with the grinder. getting it to not leak will be another challenge as well. still getting used to my new welder

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
i'm gonna get a metal chop saw in the next few days ...
Save yourself the headache of a chop saw and get you a horizontal band saw, they are about $30 more than the chop saw (harborfreight.com) and will be well worth the extra expense...You can even fab up a small table to put on the band saw when you raise the arm in the vertical position, turning it into a vertical bans saw for cutting small to midsize plate...I got a chop saw, and I wish I would have got the band saw instead, thats my next buy...
SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals