• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Curiosity killed the caliper!

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My rangers front brakes are the bigger rotors, as in HD option from factory and are much large then my front explorer brakes. Before I go and attempt suicide, can I swap rotors and caliper attachment brackets as a big disk upgrade? Or is this a completely stupid idea? What is braking, 60 front/40 rear?
If it is feasible, I think I'd have to switch to my rangers 16 inch rims instead of my explorers 15?

My ranger does have the bigger rotors in rear, incase that questioncomes up.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
See if the Explorer's rim fits on the Ranger and clears the caliper.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
True, lol. I'm always thinking ass backwards!
I think they are the same knuckle right? So caliper attachment bracket should be able to be swapped. I hate that I'm raping my ranger, but same vehicle, different looks. And I got 4 wheel disc brakes and room for 2 kids and a WIFE!

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I never knew there was a "HD" brake option. I've only ever seen the 2wd trucks with an 11ish inch rotor and 4wd trucks with a 12ish inch rotor. Which, was the same size as my mother's old 98 5.0L exlorer. Looking up parts, I don't see anything listed as a heavy duty option or larger brakes than 12 inches. Are you sure your front brakes are stock?

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
HD for rear drums. I figured it applied to my front brakes on ranger also as they are bigger. I have one good jack, 2 that won't even touch frame(including factory one that came with explorer), 3 jack stands. So it's fun to play swap parts... That's sarcasm.
I will see if caliper mounting bracket will swap over same time I swap upper control arms. I just have to be careful this time not to over extend the steering rack. Somehow I did that on ranger. I need to do it soon, as soon as it's done I'll be junking ranger :(.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ohh and I already swapped the tires and rims as I had to. I went to get a leak plugged and fount previous owner put 3 patches over the same hole alrdy, yet told me the tires were newer.
It rubs at half turn and full, but only for a second. I'll crank torsion bars soon and get warrior shackles and I'm done lifting. I just care to clear 265/75/16. Gas mileage dropped from 300 miles a tank down to 250-260.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals