• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Crash course,3.0 5speed swap

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic
Back story,I have saved a 91' raingutter from the scrap yard,got it to start but had a bad a4ld.so I WAS going to jump head first into teaching myself how to rebuild the auto

This was the truck

These were going to make one good trans,the 2wd is the 3.o,the 4x4 is out of an 87bii that was I was going to swap output shafts and bellhousing to create a good a4ld

This is going to be an absolute budget build,parts will only get changed if it needs it.once driving,it will turn into a budget prerunner,with welded diff,chevy 64 springs,taller shocks in front,and extended radius arms using the stock radius arms and a length of 1.75 tube w/ the stock poly bushing on the rear.it will keep the camper.then it will be jumped and offroaded mercilessly.it will be a memory mobile,near death experiences are almost guarenteed.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic

With 1/2off day came a 5speed,once I pulled the top cover plate,I found that whoever serviced it before obviously didnt know fords......must have been a s10 owner because there was gear oil in the m5od -_-

Also got a pristine bumper!

And a facelift

Now with the distractions aside,back to the topic.there seems to be a lack of information about 3.0 swaps.
Im still unsure as to just how much of the old harness I can use,another main concern is since I am in cali and it has to smog,it seems the autos have an EGR valve and the manuals do not.so im wondering if for smog reasons,will I have to keep the auto ECU?

I do believe I bit off more than I can chew.but the end result will be worth it.

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic
I am constantly searching threads and writeups on this swap,please drop any and all links you feel will help.....If you feel like being helpfull :)

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You should put a manual PCM in it so the CEL will not be illuminated.

I believe the manual trans harness (for the reverse lights switch and clutch starter interlock switch) is detachable, so look for one of those at the junkyard when you get your pedal set.

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic
You should put a manual PCM in it so the CEL will not be illuminated.

I believe the manual trans harness (for the reverse lights switch and clutch starter interlock switch) is detachable, so look for one of those at the junkyard when you get your pedal set.
There lies my problem,most people say the manual pcm is a must to do the swap due to differences in fuel maping and the reverse lights.but I have also read of people using the auto pcm with their 5speed swaps.
My ONLY reason for wanting to keep the auto computer with my 5speed swap is the fact that autos have the EGR valve,and the manual does not.I need to keep this swap california happy.but it seem either way I get the light,so damned if I do,damned if I dont?

Btw,I have the ENTIRE harness from the junkyard manual truck,from headlights to tailshaft.also,both trucks are 91's.

As of today I scored a new core support and color matching perfect fenders....well,junkyard perfect.im really excited to see this come along,and slightly scared I may not be able to pull off the swap.but im going to give it hell.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So if you're running a manual then deleting the egr would be legal...at least that's what I would say if asked.

Richard

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic
So if you're running a manual then deleting the egr would be legal...at least that's what I would say if asked.

Richard
Thats what im hoping for.....but its commiefornia were talking about here,hell theres word from a reputable smog shop I know that in a few years all the smaller mom&pop smog shops are suppossed to be done with and its going to be ran by the state only,more like our STAR smog,but every time.of course this is rumors and I hope it doesnt go down this way.
I will look into it more and report back.

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic
So I swung by and spoke w/ a star smog rep and I contacted a friend who smogs non star.my personal friend said if I block off the egr for the manual ecu it needs to look factory.....no other way to do it right?

The gentleman running the star shop was nice enough to look in 2 of his books and his alldata for me.
Both books says a 91' 3.o ranger doesnt have or doesnt need an egr and gives no option as to weather it is different between auto or manual.
His alldata said look for an egr -_- neither were much help other than that,and I knew more about the workings of my truck than any of them,(could be good or bad lol).
On a high note,I cleaned the shit out of the trans,ordered a shifter rebuild kit and the input shaft seal!

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic

Before

After!

Its amazing what some solvet,and air compressor,and light scrubbing can do! Inside the bellhousing was on par with the big rigs I get to ocassionally work on,that gear oil is nasty shit.......but its clean for now!

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome info,the truck recieving this trans is currently 30min away from my house,so I cant pop the hood to look any time I want

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic
Im from moreno valley/riverside.but military obligstions has me stationed inbetween sac and san fran

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic
More progress!

Doesnt look like the input shaft seal was leaking,but it got changed for good measure.

I tapped on the output shaft and broke the seal on the front plate,didnt take much effort at all.

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic

Nasty ass gear oil

This is the shims that people say not to loose.fairly simple

Found this odd looking rubber plug in that lil box look'n thangy.

Heres a pic of the goods,ill trust em.

Underside of the top plate was drenched in gear oil as well,but the forks are in beautiful shape,everything got flushed with solvent and re-sealed.I dont have pics of the output shaft seal,but it got changed out as well.and then I freshened up the shifter with new bushings,cause I dont like em' sloppy ;)

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So hows this swap coming along?

derrik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 2002
Make / Model
ford's
Transmission
Automatic
Mtnrgr was right,there is no EGR.soooo happy about that.and the pilot bearing,clutch & pressure plate is mounted off the back of the 3.slow.bought a new slave cylinder.aaaand I just started moving into the new house tonight.there is no lights in the garage.so I need to get that sorted,and I need to stab the trans,find or borrow a big enough truck & car dolly to get the truck to my house to start on the harness swap.its just not logical to start something that intense 30min away from my house. #lifeproblems hahahah

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals