• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cranking tbars 98 ranger

RangerIsLife

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Im a noob at this forum stuff

ok i got a 98 ranger completely stock and i read on here about people crankin there torsion bars and gaining 1.5. so i was wonderin if this is a good idea to do will it hurt anything? and how do i go about doing it? i figured if i get a 3 inch body lift and crank the torsion bar up to 1.5 i should have a total of 4.5 inch lift and it would look pretty damn good. but i dont wanna do it if its going to mess stuff up.

thanks
Zach.

99RangerBoss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they just ride like shit thats all i heard if you put better shocks in it makes a difference though

351Mazda

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I cranked mine up in 2004 on my old 98. I went all the way to the stops with them. The Ex-wife is still driving it around, I think it's over 200,000 miles on it now. It had about 90,000 or so when I did it. Just get under there and look at where they connect, it's self explanitory. I wouldn't do a body lift though, I think they look like shit. The tires I had were metric, they ended up being about a 32x11.50 according to the tape measure.

07rangerfx4lv2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
how many times have you replaced balljoints, cv's etc..?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The ball joints will crap out even if you leave it alone. As long as you keep the TT to 1.5" or so it will be fine. CV angle is a bigger problem than ball joints. A Ranger with the Superlift kit has far less CV angle than than one with a TT. That said, I did a TT on one Ranger and one Sport Trac when new, rolled up 45,000 miles on each (I lease through my company) and never had a CV issue. Had ball joints replaced on both and a wheel bearing on the Sport Trac, all on warranty and the dealer never said squat about the torsion bars. But like I said, if the ball joints crap out don't necessarily blame it on the TT, 'cause that just comes with the territory anyway.

07rangerfx4lv2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
i put the keys in mine, regreting it now, its basically a street queen now haha, im just wondering how long before something goes?...cv joint or the ball joints..?

RangerIsLife

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
alright sounds good i think ill do that as soon as i get a chance all this damn snow up here in PA sucks. Im tryin to get it to look a lil meaner and thats why im goign to crank them cause i cant afford a lift so what do i do about the rear cause it will look like iits saggin in the back

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
If you do nothing other that just crank the bars, it will wear tires like a sunofabeech.

I never tried to align mine though... so I dunno if a camber kit will work with cranked bars or watev... dang I really need to align a ranger now I'm curious about that.

RangerIsLife

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
haha well crankin tbars ive heard will eat the hell out of your tires if its not aligned. i just need to figure out how much to go and how to make it not look like the rear sags.
basically i wanna lift it the cheapest way i can.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals