• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cracked head question

Giant squid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2000 4.0L, i took the heads off my truck so i could rebuild my lifters, and just to see the general condition of things as my engine has a bit of a ticking sound to it. I replaced the rocker shaft assemblies form a picknpull yard perviosly cause the rocker arm were pitting pretty bad. That took most of the ticking away but now its returned about 2 months later. So after gettin the head off my brother noticed a large crack over cylinder 6 right between the valves, so i guess that does that. So i currently have 98tm heads and they seem really few and far between where i am. All ive read, says the only difference between the 95tm/98tm is the exaust port being bigger. If this is the case i dont see why i cant use it, it has the same fast burn chamber.:dntknw:

Giant squid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ahahhahahhahhah guess im on my own. Im going to the yards today so im just going to give it a shot ill let you guys know what the final outcome is. I should do fire up tomarrow evening

In god we trust:iamwithstupid::iamwithstupid:

mlunsford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Off Road
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have 99 and had the crackeds. There was a thread somewhere, maybe the explorer site on the heads and goes into pretty good explanation, but I would not go with eariler heads. Go with aftermarket heads is best as they are less prone to cracking, I got mine from Kingclinderhead.com. There is a guy on ebay that sells remanufactured heads with new castings pretty good deal, but there is a core charge. Buy the good felpro gasket set with rubber valve cover gaskets. I went with the 180 thermostat to keep the temp down a little.

Last edited:

mlunsford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Off Road
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
and get NEW head bolts, do not reuse the old head bolts.

Giant squid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well i got a set of 97tm heads inplace of the 98tm. They seem too be holding quite well no codes trippin, quiet as all hell, havent ran this smooth in a long time. I did use new head bolts and also got a top end gasket kit.
So final cost for a cracked head

Heads with rocker assemblies/pushrods/lifters/valve cover/exuast manifolds(didnt use)
Got all that from a 97 explorer for 90$
Head bolts and topend gasket kit 188$
oil/2 oil filters, coolent 60$

New heads and all new seals on top end for 340$ Hell yeah.

Giant squid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

mlunsford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Off Road
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Good deal, glad it worked out for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals