• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant suddenly Leaking from 2 places

Giovatl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I have been adding coolant to the overflow container and it has been vacuumed into the radiator. Then today I started driving and the Ranger started smoking. When I opened the hood coolant was leaking from the plastic part connecting heater hoses near the a/c accumulator(see pic) and from the lower hose off the radiator. What happened? Did the system get overpressured and leak at the weakest points. I have never had a coolant leak before. Also, what is the part near the a/c accumulator connecting the heater hoses?

Attachments

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
when cooling systems go, they seem to go all at once.

the part near the a/c accumulator is your heater control valve. its a very common leak point on your generation of truck.

Giovatl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Was it a bad idea to fill from the overflow reservoir and why did it not leak before I filled the system? It seems like the pressure increased when I topped it off. Does this sound right? Would low coolant level give you a lower system pressure?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
its never a bad idea to keep your fluids up to their full marks :icon_thumby:

the leaks are undoubtedly unrelated to your topping the cooling system off. adding coolant doesnt increase the systems pressure.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
increased pressure is caused by blockages and such in the system, when was the last time your coolant was changed/flushed? when you look in your radiator do you see rust in your system (brownish gunk)? do you use your heater often or run it every so often (heater cores are bad about stopping up from rust in the system.) just a few simple questions, if you do all the above and its serviced regularly w/ no rust its prob just a simple leak, but it never hurts to have it looked at since this maybe a lil prob caused by these things and easier to fix now w/ lil prob then have the whole system go due to the underlying problem getting bigger.

Giovatl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I am thinking when I topped off the system maybe the rust in the upper half of the radiator broke loose. I need to check this weekend. Will flushing help clean the system of rust scale?

Gio

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
yes it will but see if you have any in your system first, if not then it wont fix anything. also when you go to fix your leak on your heater control valve take a water hose and rinse thru your heater core and see what comes out the other end. if its full of rust and such this may be your problem and flushing will help. if nothing comes out then its def plugged. just something to look at while your doing the repair. id fix it first then do a visual inspection unless its been over 50k miles since the cooling system was serviced.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Those heater control valves just seem to have a habbit of just randomly leaking.

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
mine started leaking a few months ago randomly. replaced the valve and havent had a problem since.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
like i said may just be a minor thing but never hurts to check.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The heater control valve just leaks. A new Motorcraft one is around $20 at the dealer IIRC, and surely cheaper than that at any parts store. It takes minutes to replace.

Giovatl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Guess what? I flushed the system, replaced the heater control valve and now the radiator does not leak. How do you figure.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
like i said it is prob just a simple thing but never hurts to check everything to make sure your not about to have a problem, since you had the system down and all anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals