• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Converting a 2wheel m50d to 4wheel

8599mazanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/ 85/ 97/99
Make / Model
mazanger
Engine Size
Threehundredtwo c.i.
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I am putting a 302 with the 5 speed from an 01 f150 4.2 two wheel drive into my 85 4x4. I have in my garage the 4x4 5 speed from a 99 b3000 with the t case. Anyone know if the tailhousing from the 3.0 will fit ? I was mainly wondering about the output shaft. I would really like to have 4wheel drive if i can. If i cant then i'll serve up some two wheel burnouts.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
You might be a bit disappointed with that whole setup.

For starters, I've never heard of the 4.2L V6 Ford used having a 302 bolt pattern. Or is there a conversion bellhousing?

2nd, there are 2 (two) M5OD's. The M5OD-R1 the Rangers use, and the M5OD-R2 the fullsize F-series got. Neither are compatible with each other in any way. They are related in name only.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
the ford 4.2 started life out as the ford 3.8 witch is based off of a ford small block. it would be fords version of the gm 4.3

also the f-150 t-case is a good start....but all you need is the top plate that she shifter is on for your conversion.........try to find a 4 wheel drive out of an older f-150

8599mazanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/ 85/ 97/99
Make / Model
mazanger
Engine Size
Threehundredtwo c.i.
Transmission
Manual
Trans conversion

hey captain. It does bolt up as i have it on there and everything is mounted already. Stegomon. I was wanting to use the t case from the 99 mazda which i think is plenty strong. I wont be doing much hardcore since i live on an island. Mostly playing in mud or driving on sand. And free with some labor is my kinda wrenching.

Last edited:

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
woops...t-case meant trans.....haha sorry....i used a t-case from a 78 bronco behind my m5od f150 trans

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals