• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Considering Ranger for 1st time

Dats y u ask

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ram Dakota
Transmission
Automatic
Been driving 4x4 Dodge trucks for 20+ years. Last few have been Dakotas. I like the size compared to full size for a couple basic reasons.
Easier to park in garage, wife doesn't complain as much when she borrows it, slightly better MPG. Etc.
Dodge also had a V8 plugged in all my Dakotas. Which I love because it is a tough engine for that size truck.

What's holding me back on Ranger is a 4cyl. engine that seems to need to be wound up to it's limits to act tough.
Maybe it's counter-intuitive for me to think this way. Maybe Ford has put together a sewing machine that can lift a bridge. ; )

So even though it is a slightly smaller o/a truck than Dakota, it is rated to haul quite a bit. Considering skids plates too.
That dinky motor still hasn't quite convinced me it can be beaten like a rented mule. I'm not exactly easy on vehicles sometimes.

There were questionable MPG stats out there on the internet so naturally I believe that crap instantly, too.

Any advice from practical folks about this decision is appreciated.
Help me keep Tacoma out of the list of choices. My buddies would frown on me.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The 2.3 EcoBoost is actually a 20 year old engine design so its been around plenty long enough to prove its durability. It's a turbocharged version of the 2.3 duratec. It has forged internals to handle the extra boost. I had the same concerns as you when they started pushing these tiny engines with big power numbers. But... they work...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The engine for the Ranger was designed to provide power at the low end instead of higher up in the RPM band. So, there is plenty of grunt in her. Granted, it’s still a turbocharged engine, so there is a little bit of turbo lag but not horrible and it can be overcome with a little bit of fore thought.

The basic engine design has been around for quite a while. So concerns about reliability should be put to bed. The only off spring of the engine family that has been documented to having head gasket problems was the one in the Focus that ran at a higher horsepower rating and I think they found a fix for that.

The fuel mileage has been found to be on par with the manufacturer’s quotes. At least with the people on here who have gotten them. While this is a Ranger fan site, the people here aren’t afraid to admit the various year models short comings and weak points. The truck is still new, so there maybe somethings hiding in the wood work yet but so far, the reports have been pretty positive.

Take a look around the 2019 section and you’ll see what we mean. We’ve pointed out the good and the bad with the truck as well as videos and reports on what the truck can do.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
All the EcoBoost engines have turbos sized to build power at low revs. We had a customer who tows a trailer full of welding supplies every day with a 3.5 EcoBoost F150, he left it for service and we loaned him a 5.0 V8 truck for the day. When he picked up his truck he said the 3.5 towed his trailer much better than the 5.0 did and used less fuel to do it. 3.5 liters is 214 cubic inches, that's impressive. My 2.0 EcoBoost AWD Escape averaged 27.3 on a round trip to McLean, Va in spite of 75-80 mph cruising speeds and the worst traffic I've ever encountered. I'll buy another EcoBoost in a minute but I'll pass on a hybrid after submitting a $14,000 warranty claim for replacing an Escape hybrid battery and a $4000+ claim for a hybrid ABS module.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'll buy another EcoBoost in a minute but I'll pass on a hybrid after submitting a $14,000 warranty claim for replacing an Escape hybrid battery and a $4000+ claim for a hybrid ABS module.
The "green" costs just blow me away!!!:tease: Sure glad I chose the new Ranger.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
There were questionable MPG stats out there on the internet so naturally I believe that crap instantly, too.

Any advice from practical folks about this decision is appreciated.
Help me keep Tacoma out of the list of choices. My buddies would frown on me.
We've got 4,000 miles on our 2019 Ranger. It's a SuperCab XL-STX-FX4. Averaging 25.5 mpg. Traded in our '02 Tacoma TRD and thus far have no regrets.

The turbocharged 2.3 is amazing. Go drive one... guarantee you'll like the power.

Dats y u ask

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ram Dakota
Transmission
Automatic
I will take all of your comments into consideration and try one out.
As a former engineer who has launched many new vehicles, I definitely understand "growing pains" suffered with new product lines.
It's heartening to hear that the 2.3L is an upgraded 20 year old.

My next move is to test drive something as close as I can to what I will eventually order. I'm not fond of surprises when I can do nothing about them but "settle".

Thanks for the help to everyone.

ps
I will probably come back with a few questions and comments fairly soon after the test.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
One of the reasons the 2.3 does so good (in my opinion) is what its bolted to. The 10 speed trans does an awesome job keeping the engine perfectly in its powerband. First time I drove one it was strange having a peppy little engine and double the gears I'm use to but the thing shifts so fast it almost feels like a CVT (minus the explosions).

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I will probably come back with a few questions and comments fairly soon after the test.
Stick around. We’re a fun and sometimes helpful crowd if you have a good sense of humor.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
For example I know where fuses go!

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
..... My next move is to test drive something as close as I can to what I will eventually order. I'm not fond of surprises when I can do nothing about them but "settle"....
One thing to consider and ask your dealer about: Ford did some wacky things during the 2019 production run... like not apply seam sealer on the doors when they were having issues with the equipment that performs this operation. Also, sometime around mid July 2019 they decided to only install 4 bed tie downs in the trucks instead of 6.

Why am I bringing this up? If I were to "order" a new Ranger I'd have to have an agreement that if the truck comes in and has an issue, like the door seam sealer issue, that I could walk away without being out of pocket any money.

The bed tie down thing is an easy fix... not a deal breaker. But based on their past performance Ford just ships the trucks, with issues, and doesn't tell the customers. To me that's a breach of contract, so I'd want some way out if that happens. Last thing I'd want is the truck to come in and then have to have the dealer "fix" stuff that should have been right to begin with.

Another thing... check the air pressure in the tires during the test drive. The trucks leave the factory with too much pressure in the tires. A lot of dealers are not dropping the pressure of the tires down. Why do you care on a test drive? The truck will ride horrible with too much tire pressure. That and it's a good indication as to if the dealer is doing what Ford expects them to.

Food for thought. Good luck on your journey. :icon_thumby:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
One good thing about Ford's approach to the 2019 Ranger is that they have based the powertrain on tried and improved components instead of just throwing all new ones in with no track record. The basic 2.3 Ecoboost engine has been around in at least three different vehicles for some time before being put in the Ranger. The 10-speed transmission is a collaborative effort between Ford and GM and the basic design has been used in multiple vehicles. The axles (the rear axle at least) is being used in Jeeps. The basic frame and body work has been used since 2012 with the World Ranger. There are still going to be some hiccups, I don't have any illusions about that, since these components have been modified form another format but the basic engineering has been tested.

HenryMac does bring up a good point about checking over the vehicle thoroughly. So far, I've been lucky and everything has been dodged or checked as good. Though, even on an tried and true model, like my 2011. There are still going to be recalls for one reason or another. It had a multi-function switch and passenger air bag igniter recall that did need to be done on it.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I've yet to own a car that didnt have recalls... its unavoidable. Sometimes it's a design error, sometimes it's a bad non manufacturer part (takata). In the grand scheme of things Toyota was the worst with needing to replace frames!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals