• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Considering a turbo for my 2.3

super91(2.3)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1996
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
2.3/ 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I drive a 91 2.3 5 speed. I rebuilt the motor over the summer. I am looking to get more power out of it. I already have plans to buy a megasquirt 2. One of my extremely mechanically inclined friends has a turbo he is willing to give me that he was goin to put on his stang, and help me install it. He is also willing to build me a manifold. I am on a tight budget after the megasquirt, and I am wondering how much more money is it gonna cost to run 7-10 psi?

DJ19885.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You need to have forged pistons to safely run over 5 ish PSI with gasoline. You could pick up a running 2.3 Turbo engine for about $600 and swap that in. That is probably your best bet unless you already have forged pistons in your engine. One of my freinds somehow got away with 20psi running on E-85 with MS2 on a chrysler turbo 2.2 with cast psitons, so If you have a large enough fuel system to run E-85, you could probably get away with 10 psi on cast pistons. Don't quote me on that though, haha

Last edited:

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
dont use cast pistons, i know peaple say you can get away with just a few pounds but why risk it? you can get used turbo pistons for like $50. and mega squirt seems like overkill unless your going all out, whuch it doesnt seem like since your only wanting 7-10 lbs, i would get a turbo ecu and call it a day

super91(2.3)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1996
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
2.3/ 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
i put in hypereutectic pistons, and my bad on the psi. a mellow 2-5 psi would be suffecient. but from what i have heard, the megasquirt can free up quite a bit of hp. and with a turbo on top of that, i would hopefully be able to get the most out of the low psi.

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
not trying to start anything but 2-5 psi just isn't even worth it to me, why do all the work for barely anything, plus your gonna want more trust me, but your motor wont want to take more, from what ive heard hypers arent much better that cast, but at that low boost you should be able to get away with it, watch your compression ratio too
I see where your coming from with the megasquirt because you can tune everything and get the most out of it,

super91(2.3)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1996
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
2.3/ 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
i would swap in forged pistons, but i had my chance to turbo it when i rebuilt it and didnt have the money, and if i gotta go thru all the work to put different pistons in... thats more than what i have in my budget.

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
i see where your coming from, but you can get pistons for 50 bucks, just drop them in and go, plus pretty sure if you have flat tops the combination of high compression and weak pistons will mean you need a near perfect tune

super91(2.3)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1996
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
2.3/ 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
i dont mean to call u out on this, but to drop pistons in, i gotta get into the oil pan to pull the connecting rods. for me, that means pulling the motor, buying new gaskets (for the third time). just too much for the near future.

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I understand what your saying, you could always get another ranger motor and build it, a block at the junkyard should be cheap

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
it sure as fawk aint no 50 dollar deal to properly upgrade pistons.

i like mine hand honed/fitted with the best rings possible not to mention the piston pin situation etc..... .

gaskets bolts and coolant empty fill etc is a huge pia when hypers will take 10 pounds well enough with proper tuning.

thing is proper tuning would likely cost more then the whole budget build as described.

but you should consider the investment of forged components as they are allot easier on beginning tuners, so the actual cost to swap in forged stuff could very well be the cheapest route in the end.

super91(2.3)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1996
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
2.3/ 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
the 2.3s are cheap, i picked up a head for mine for $30. its a good option i hadnt thought about. honestly, if i can get the parts cheap, this could turn into an engine i put into a newer ranger sometime down the road.

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
you can find turbo pistons and rods on turboford for about $50 all the time thats what i did, my motor is the definition of "budget build" it was my first and i started it when i was 17 i reused the rings and honed it with the drill hone and still no problems yet

super91(2.3)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1996
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
2.3/ 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
i have searched for a year and a half for a stock turbo coupe. found one for sale for $300 locally but it was the wrong time to buy.

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
for the car or motor? thats an average price for the motor around here. if it was the car thats a deal

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
you can find turbo pistons and rods on turboford for about $50 all the time thats what i did, my motor is the definition of "budget build" it was my first and i started it when i was 17 i reused the rings and honed it with the drill hone and still no problems yet
i am impressed, usually gobble a quart or two between changes when i have to do that. though thats with v8's mostly.

as tough as these lil critters are boost and fuel issues can mess them up in short order like any other engine especially with less the forged components.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals