• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Computers..............

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My eight year old Compaq ME needs replacing. I am considering a MAC. Pros?? Cons????? The only thing I do with a computer is entertainment, such as this forum, and my personal banking, e-mail, etc.:)shady

dgndngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im a pc person. but ya macs are good for multimedia stuff like watching movies, gaming, sometimes looking at pictures on here (56k deaths):icon_rofl: for pcs i like sony and dells. i usually go buy whatever brand has the best tech support but im not sure who does these days

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I built mine with parts bought online, much quicker than shelf bought pc's, but I still had to build it. Cost me about 500$ in parts.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The biggest con for Apple computers is the price...but they are good for graphics and multi-media...have easy to use network connections...and are more like Windows with every version of OS...but that is another down...the OS is under constant change and a new version is released pretty much every year or sometimes sooner...

For what you are using the computer for, you can get a decent prefab computer for under $200 if you use the same keyboard, mouse and monitor...and if you've got a licensed version of XP or Vista (or 2K) you don't even need to buy software...but you may need to spend a bit of time upgrading your OS again with the various patches and fixes...

I personally cannot see spending more than a couple of hundred dollars on a new computer these days...but the pricey ones are there for the taking...and with things going the way they are in the IT sector you may be able to get great deals right about now...shop around...you'll be amazed at how much prices on these things are dropping...

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I built mine with parts bought online, much quicker than shelf bought pc's, but I still had to build it. Cost me about 500$ in parts.
Thats the way to go if you are computer savvy. If you are not, get a local computer business (not best buy or circuit city!) that is reputable to build you one. might cost you about $1000, but it will be decent, better than anything you will buy at an electronics store or Walmart.

Macs will do everything you want, but are limited if you want to do any gaming or other software. plus they cost a shitload of money for what they do. But at the same time, you will be exempt from 99 percent of the viruses and malware out on the net...

AJ

gettle03FX4LevelII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 Leve
Transmission
Manual
i too build my own you can build a much better and faster system for much less then a pre made system. I am partial to AMD. After you get your HD and CD rom graphics card and case the only thing you have to upgrade it processor MB each time. People are often afraid to go inside the computer but its much easier them many think.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i like my dell refurb, has the same warranty packages available that new ones have, i got a laptop that when new the guy paid 900, i got it used(cant even tell it was used looks brand new) for 500. had windows xp and you can even get some upgrades on them too and they have tons ranging from mid 300 and up

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I build my own too...but last time I checked it was not cheaper than some of the systems that you can buy ready made...unless you're a gamer or like tinkering there's not much point to building one...although it's more fun to do it yourself

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
www.discountpc.net

Pick a good one up from here, reload your OS of choice on it, and use your current keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

I used to be a Mac guy but I picked up a few PCs for cheap and got into that side of things a lot more. I have a bunch of both and I have no preference...right now my main computer is a PC running Windows XP.

I guess if I were to buy new and not build a machine, I'd probably get a Dell or an HP. Had pretty good luck with both. Stay away from Gateway, e-machines, Acer and MPC (all the same company) because they currently have NO warranty support. Not really sure why but one of my clients bought a 3 year warranty on her Gateway tablet PC and it's broken...can't even get a response for repairs from anywhere.

Last edited:

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I am a rabid mac fan, but that's also because I'm a graphic designer.

For you, I would suggest a PC (I prefer dells when it comes to them) as its alot cheaper and has more programs available for it. It will suit your needs better from the sounds of it.

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there isnt much difference unless you really get into computers. macs all run intel chips, are able to run windows, etc. etc. maybe to some people what i just said is a sin, but i have run a pc my whole life, i got a mac now(running OSX) and i love it. osx is user friendly, you can get programs to play wmv files and such, but it really comes down to personal preference. maybe i'm wrong.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Forgot to mention one more thing. You will pay far out the ass for Mac software. Have fun playing the forced upgrade game with Apple, too, if you go that route. They release a new operating system every year-2 years and shortly after the new version is out nobody supports the old versions anymore. It's like not being able to use your Windows 95 era apps with Windows 98 because there is no backwards compatibility (bad reference)

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
Transmission
Manual
Ive made many Mark and its always been cheaper than already made ones:p go to newegg you will save tons trust me its well worth it lol u get 4 gigs of ram for 40$ come on now a local retail shop couldnt do better imo. not dissin u tho just sayin :p the 9800gts are now down to 125$ get an sli board and you can run dual monitors if your a power user or w/e lol I do its worth it. you can multi-task to your hearts content. But my sys is a lil overkill. If you are in Wa state id love to help you build one show you the ropes etc etc it's easy and once you learn you will save money in the long run. And yes there are some cheap ones but I would suggest spending a lil more money if you are on it alot.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a imac and a home built pc. I like them both for differnet reasons. The imac wont crash like a windows machine. I would not own a dell for anything.

I prefer the mac but they are expensive. Good Luck with whatever you get.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Build yourself one Shady. I built my current home PC for less than $600.

My current $600 PC specs:
- XFX motherboard
- AMD Athalon X2 2.6GHz processor
- nVidia GeForce 8600 1GB RAM video card
- Sound Blaster Audigy sound card
- 500GB hard drive
- 2GB RAM
- Dell 19" monitor
- DVD R/W cd drive w/ SATA interface
- Mid tower case
- 4 cooling fans
- cooling fan controller

Get your parts from www.tigerdirect.com

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals