• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Computer not right ?

bowturkey

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 4.0
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 Plan on 302
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
15”
Tire Size
35/12.5/15
92 RANGER is running crappie under load . In open loop when it's cold it runs
great. I also have an air/fuel ratio gauge when it gets to where you can tell that the o2 sensor has kicked in is when it runs bad under load. I have had it seems like every code in the book. Right now I have a 452 & 522 code 452 is speed sensor 522 is clutch netrual switch can't see how either would effect the missing thing thats going on? The codes come and go checked fuel pressures fuel rail is 30 lbs step onthe gas it goes up to 40. Changed o2 sensor,fuel filter. could it be the computer?

Bowturkey

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Are you sure that it outputs 3 digit codes? I think 1993 was the year they switched from 2 to 3, but don't quote me on that. Might be worth while to run the test again with that in mind, you'll know for sure because the codes are output twice. If you don't see the codes being output twice, then they are not being read properly. (twice meaning 12 41 95 12 41 95 <separator pulse> ... then stored memory codes the same way).

bowturkey

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 4.0
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 Plan on 302
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
15”
Tire Size
35/12.5/15
They are three digit codes and they do repeat. I also forgot to say it is a 4.0.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
For how long it takes to take a quick look at the computer I would take a look. I chased intermittant issues with my 91 for quite a while. When I looked at the computer it was corroded to hell outside and inside. The top edge is not sealed, so any water that makes it down the A. pillar can find its way into the computer and cause all kinds of weird problems. Mine was also throwing odball codes that did not relate to any of the problems, until it finally decided to refuse to be scanned, which was when I decided to look at it. I put the new one inside a plastic bag which I hope will solve the issue.

bowturkey

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 4.0
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 Plan on 302
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
15”
Tire Size
35/12.5/15
Was going to change computer but now I don't know . The ranger was originally a 2wd & has been converted to 4wd for about 5yrs. They sell basically 4 computers for that year 4.0 ranger 2wd std trans., 4.0 2wd auto trans.,4.0 4wd std trans. & 4.0 4wd auto trans.
Mine is std trans. I know I would have to get one of the the 2 that are for the stan trans. but which one do I get and what would the difference be ? The 4wd one is $120 the 2wd is $216 and I don't even know if it will fix the problem. Another ? what was the difference between the different years like 91,92 & 93 seems most of the stuff is the same .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals