• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

coils to soft?

rangerguy1996

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have 3.5in cage progresive coils but the tighter coils are touching so i have 6 coils doing nothing my truck is a ex cab 4.0 so maybe im to heavy?

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
That's what it sounds like to me. The tender coil shouldn't be fully collapsed. You need a stiffer spring, I like the Superflex springs from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. The 78-79 F-150 springs are about perfect for RBV's, they're right at 300lb/in.

alpinestar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
bah?! 300 lbs is heavy. is that the same as a 300lb rate leaf spring? im running like 174 in the front of my truck and it seems a hair bit too stiff. just wondering

Last edited:

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
bah?! 300 lbs is heavy. is that the same as a 300lb rate leaf spring? im running like 174 in the front of my truck and it seems a hair bit too stiff. just wondering
Do you even have any idea what the typical TTB factory or lift spring rate is?

Pipe down junior. :annoyed:

rangerguy1996

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
what size f150 springs do i need to have 6 inches. i think they are way to soft but i do want alot of flex

alpinestar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Do you even have any idea what the typical TTB factory or lift spring rate is?

Pipe down junior. :annoyed:
thats why i asked if it was the same as a leaf spring? like i said mine is 174 and my buddy has 150lb. coils in the front of his cherokee. i know whats good for flex and thats a soft coil. if your going for good handling and on road driving then a stiffer coil is waht you want. just cuz you think your older and wiser, dont mean you really are, it dont work that way anymore bud.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
No leafs react different to spring rate than coils do an Progressive rate coils are a completly different animal to standard rates... BTW Alpine read my Sig lol.

Also the softer springs obviously flex more theres no way around it however I think a standard rate coil the correct length to get your height would be better than progressives but I came from a racing background when progressives are shunned b/c the difficulty to tune them.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
thats why i asked if it was the same as a leaf spring? like i said mine is 174 and my buddy has 150lb. coils in the front of his cherokee. i know whats good for flex and thats a soft coil. if your going for good handling and on road driving then a stiffer coil is waht you want. just cuz you think your older and wiser, dont mean you really are, it dont work that way anymore bud.

Which is all fine and dandy on a solid axle jeep, or a solid axle bronco 2.

Spring rates need to be stiffer on a TTB suspension as there is a 1.5 to 1 leverage ration created by the placement of the pivots. So a coil in the 300PPI range is right about perfect for a TTB ranger.

Stock ranger coils are around 500 PPI, and skyjacker lift ranger lift coils (which are the softest lift coil specifically for a ranger are around 450 PPI)

And yes, he is older and wiser:icon_thumby:

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
what size f150 springs do i need to have 6 inches. i think they are way to soft but i do want alot of flex
The '78-79 6" superflex coil is about 24-25" long FL, and has a rate of 300lb/in. You need something that will sit around 19" when loaded, so if your front corner weight is about 1000lbs, those would be the springs for you. I'm guessing that you're going to be a bit heavier than that since your truck is an extended cab and a 4.0L. In all honesty, those springs will probably give about 5" of lift (pretty similar to where the 6" TTB springs sit for the ext cab/4.0 Rangers.)

rangerguy1996

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i only have 3.5 in eb springs they are giving me my six inches now so wouldent 6 in f150 be way to big.

alpinestar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Which is all fine and dandy on a solid axle jeep, or a solid axle bronco 2.

Spring rates need to be stiffer on a TTB suspension as there is a 1.5 to 1 leverage ration created by the placement of the pivots. So a coil in the 300PPI range is right about perfect for a TTB ranger.
Thats what i needed to know.. and 100% the reason i originally asked if it was the same... thanks for clarifyin'

Mud-Nut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is off topic, but is that your truck in your avatar pic? It looks like it flexes pretty good up front. Would you mind posting a bigger picture in this thread and maybe more specs on your setup? Thanks man.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51611

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals