• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch Issues

jdm_farmboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
My 86 Bronco II is having clutch issues. It does not like to shift into gear while at a stop or while downshifting. I don't have as much trouble upshifting but I think that is because I can match rpm's fairly well. I have to force the shifter into place when at a standstill. So what could be wrong with my truck. I have good pedal pressure and the clutch itself does not appear to be slipping. At this point I'm leaning towards the slave cylinder or the Throwout bearing, but I do not know for sure. I'm going to start removing the transmission after the weekend, so any help know would be appreciated.

Eaglefixer

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would check the clutch/brake pedal bracket. Check where the rod pivots on top. Had one on my my 96 Ranger elongated real bad causing same problem

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the fluid level in the master cylinder.Look for leaks in the back of the master cylinder under the dash and around the clutch.If somethings leaking that will tell you which end.Wish I had 45,000 miles nice.

jdm_farmboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
The clutch fluid level was a little low, but nothing major. If its leaking I thinks its the slave cylinder. Does anyone know of an inspection hole for the Toyo Koygo 5-speed? There doesn't appear to be one. Also what is the best way of getting the clutch fluid tube disconnected from the Slave cylinder?

jdm_farmboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help guys. After getting the transmission out, I unbolted the pressure plate and one of the friction disc's springs fell onto my face. I guess I found my issue. I've got it all back together and all I have to do is figure out why its not accelerating anymore. I think all the crap in my catalytic converter settled over the week of me changing my clutch because I hit it with a hammer this morning and performance improved. Sound good to anyone else?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals