• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

clunking sounds in suspension -- ball joints?

mixwhit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
'03 4.0L, AT, ext cab, 2WD, 175k miles

For a while now I've been hearing some clunking sounds from underneath, presumably suspension related. It's getting worse (e.g. louder, more frequent). I hear them most when I hit a bump, or something else that bounces the truck a bit. But not every time, only some times. It almost sounds/feels like something's shifting a little bit when it happens.

Showed it to a mechanic friend, he thought it was the ball joints. He got it up on a lift to check.

In case it matters, this truck had an engine swap (for another 4.0L) about 9 months ago and the clunks have picked up since. I doubt it's related, but I suppose there could be something related to the tranny mount or something else in that procedure so thought I'd mention it.

My friend's a good guy and a ford mechanic so I'm inclined to get the ball joints replaced, but I wanted to ask here and make sure it sounds like something that could cause the clunks I'm hearing.

thx

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
It's most likely sway bar end links. I would assume yours are close to the same style as on my 01 f350. If so, that's exactly how my truck acts when they wear out. You hit a bump and get a banging clunking sound from under the floor board.

Slide under there and push and pull on them. If there is play in them then that's your problem.

I doubt it's ball joints, but they are easy to check as well. Jack the front off the ground and grab the tire at 12 and 6 o clock. Wiggle the tire in and out from the top and bottom. If you have play, then the ball joints are bad.

Sent from my iPhone.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You claim your friend is a ford mechanic, and he told you the ball joints are shot...

I would be inclined to believe him. Checking for a blown ball joint is not a difficult task, and if hes a trained mechanic he should be able to diagnose that no problem.

mixwhit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i agree the ball joints are likely on the outs, but i just looked and sure enough, schnot called it---the left side sway bar link is broken at the top (only attached to the bottom)! i'll try that first since it's cheap. i replaced the right side myself a few years ago (maybe 3) after it broke.

as i recall, last time i replaced it with the wheel on. is it worth removing the wheel or just as easy with it on?

hopefully that cures the clunk so I can save up a bit more for the ball joint replacement (that's not something i want to do myself).

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Should be able to do it with the wheel on as long as you have room to get in there with wrenches.

Sent from my iPhone.

rangerparts101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
maybe check your shock bushings thay maybe worn

basketranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
My bet is body to frame bushings.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals