• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

clunking noise

bert296

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys ive got this clunking noise in my truck that only happens when im backing up and hit the brakes i can hear it and slightly feel it in the drivers side floor i looked over everything and found a bad radius arm bushing so i replaced it today but clunk is still there any ideas??

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Did you ever try sitting on the passenger's side & hitting the brakes to see if you could feel it clunk on that side also?

But Seriously....I get under the truck with a rubber mallet...then hit on stuff/try to wiggle stuff to see what clunks/shifts around/rattles.....

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Take it in to the nearest shop and have them do a safety check. They have to tell you what it needs. I have a friend that owns a frame and axel shop he tells me what it needs and I give him the alignment after I put the parts in. He is a little spendy but does great work.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Could be any number of things. I would check for a loose caliper off hand. Raise the front end off the ground and get out the crowbar. Start moving stuff around and see what is flexing. You could also have someone watch underneath when you back up and maybe identify what is shifting.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Take it in to the nearest shop and have them do a safety check. They have to tell you what it needs. I have a friend that owns a frame and axel shop he tells me what it needs and I give him the alignment after I put the parts in. He is a little spendy but does great work.
How the hell is this relevant or helpful at all?! No shit, of course he can take it to a shop. The reason he asked here on TRS was so that he can diagnose and repair it himself.

If you can't comment with useful info, then don't clutter our boards or troll people's threads.

No one gives a shit if you have a friend where you take your truck to get fixed. Besides, you are in Washington, while the OP is in Maine. Are you suggesting he drive 3,000 mi and take it your your awesome friend's axle shop, who is pricey, but hey, he's good, right? I'm sure NO ONE in Maine is capable of working on trucks.

Could be any number of things. I would check for a loose caliper off hand. Raise the front end off the ground and get out the crowbar. Start moving stuff around and see what is flexing. You could also have someone watch underneath when you back up and maybe identify what is shifting.

If it clunks when put in reverse (or drive after reverse), it is probably a worn carrier bearing (center support bearing), or a u-joint. Grab the rear driveshaft, and forcibly shake it side-to-side, and see if it has play. Or, inspect the universal joints and see if they have excessive wiggle. These are usually main culprits since they are wear items. (However, these sounds are from in the cab.)

On another note, I've had a similar-sounding problem from the same area. And Panama could be right regarding the loose caliper. There are two 14mm (?) bolts that hold the drive front caliper on the spindle. Check those. You may even be missing the upper bolt altogether. :icon_confused:

Last edited:

bert296

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks ill check out the u-joints and brake calipers this afternoon. now when u say "worn carrier bearing" do u mean at the end of the i beam like the bushing or like in the rearend carrier? or center bearing in the drive shaft?

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
The carrier bearing, on our 4.0L 4x4 supercabs, is about halfway down the driveshaft, from the transmission to the rear axle.

You have a 2-piece driveshaft, which is basically 2 shafts held together with a u-joint to prevent excessive vibrations over such a "long" distance. It's 'generally' stronger and vibrates less at cruising speeds (in real life, and on paper).

Here are examples of 2-piece driveshafts & carrier bearings:

Hope this helps.

Pete

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Additional note: the bearing is surrounded by a rubber bushing, which, as all rubber does, deteriorate and wear out over millions of cycles. A new one is about $25 at your local auto part store.

Any luck with the brakes though? Can you describe the clunking in more depth?

bert296

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
brakes were fine rear u-joint was spanked but still didnt fix it its like a thud backing up slow hit the brakes and thud dont no ill look at it more indepth this weekend

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
brakes were fine rear u-joint was spanked but still didnt fix it its like a thud backing up slow hit the brakes and thud dont no ill look at it more indepth this weekend
lettuce know what you discover.....

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm releshing in the moment reading this conversation...

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
agpete just cause u have 2000 posts and are a premium member doesn't mean u can be a dick. kim was just meaning take it to the shop cause most are free and u will find out exactly whats wrong with it without searching for the parts and wasting money on something thats still good.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Mustard you guys always quibble?

I had a similar noise a while ago...it was the brakes...the rear shoes where binding on the backing plates and the front calipers were binding on the slider pins...a bit of grease goes a long way on brake parts...

Or maybe you bought the forward only brake parts...they are not meant to be used in reverse at all...they will clunk approximately ten times before failure...so I hope you've been counting the clunks...

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
agpete just cause u have 2000 posts and are a premium member doesn't mean u can be a dick. kim was just meaning take it to the shop cause most are free and u will find out exactly whats wrong with it without searching for the parts and wasting money on something thats still good.

509, post count doesn't mean anything. You have 500+ posts and been here 10 months, while I have 2,000+ over the last 5+ years. (Obviously, you've commented more than me in a shorter time frame.) BUT, even before the 2007 TRS server switch & hacking, I had thousands of posts in the 5-6 years before THAT. Truth be told, guys like Mark, DG, RobertC, Bobby_Walter, JSpafford, and RSH have significantly more posts than both of us combined (10,000+). How's the content and quality of each post? Are you helping someone fix a truck problem or throwing up random comments?

Who actually pays attention to post count, anyways? The guys that have been around TRS recognize each other.

I'm not being a dick. I just don't like it when people comment in a "help thread" and people just throw in their personal anecdotes.

Again, the reason people post a question like that is to receive guidance and advice how to fix it themselves, without spending money on a service that can be easily fixed. OR, maybe, it's his only truck / form of transportation to work, insurance will not pay for a rental, and it's a minor sound that is not putting anyone at risk.

It's stuff like this that keep TRS a good, high quality website. Of course, the OP can take the problem to a shop.

The reason I'm a premium member is only because I wanted the banner on my Internet avatar, not because I wanted to support the website monetarily, show my support, or have that awesome window sticker.

Mustard you guys always quibble?

I had a similar noise a while ago...it was the brakes...the rear shoes where binding on the backing plates and the front calipers were binding on the slider pins...a bit of grease goes a long way on brake parts...

Or maybe you bought the forward only brake parts...they are not meant to be used in reverse at all...they will clunk approximately ten times before failure...so I hope you've been counting the clunks...
Mark, what happens at the end of the detonating sequence? Does it turn into scrap pile, also referred to as a Chevy?

10 clunk, 9 clunk, 8 clunk... ;missingteeth;

He should have paid extra for the dual directional brakes.

I'm releshing in the moment reading this conversation...
Mayon-aise a lotta puns goin' on 'round here.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals