• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chevy v8

buddyayres

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its not that hard i did this very thing my self in my 86 bronco II. but i dont no if you have noticed or not. but i hope you relize that chevy drive shafts for the front axle run on the opsite side then ford. so you will either have to use a chevy front axle or run a 88-98 style chevy t-case. here are some pictures of my bronco II.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Converting from fuel injection to carburetion is as easy as removing the F.I. upper and lower intake manifold and associated sensors/wires and installing a 4 barrel intake manifold, carburetor, air filter, and throttle linkage. For under $150 bucks you can find some 302 swap headers at Summitracing.com and while you're their pick up an oil filter relocation kit. There are several options for motormounts from weld on to bolt in. Use the F-150 rear, your rear tires will be wider but if its a mud truck it will help you. Because your rear tires will grab fresh mud instead of following the ruts made by the front tires! Also, a 302 is a lot smaller than a 350 making it a lot easier to install. You will need a new radiator, but there are plenty of options. The truck 302 V8 have E7 casting cylinder heads, so port and polish them. Maybe get yourself a 3 angle valve job as long as the heads are off. This will give you a good increase in power and torque for cheap. Another option if you want to get a little more spendy, pick up explorer GT40P cylinder heads and also the exhaust manifolds off of the explorer since the head design is a little different and normal SBF headers won't fit. These will flow very well for higher RPM mud racing on a budget! Just ask me or search the V8 forums if you need any more info.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
its not that hard i did this very thing my self in my 86 bronco II. but i dont no if you have noticed or not. but i hope you relize that chevy drive shafts for the front axle run on the opsite side then ford. so you will either have to use a chevy front axle or run a 88-98 style chevy t-case. here are some pictures of my bronco II.

hmmm.
i usually use ford or jeep cases for drivers side drop axles, jeep dodge or chevy cases for passenger side drop axles....regardless of what engine the truck has or what brand the truck is......dont get me wrong the 241 is a good case but needs a sye and i dont like wasting money on aluminum cases i know have a limited lifespan when wheeled by idiots like me.

i know if i had a chevy motor in my ford i would likely use a ford or jeep case with a front axle with the pumpkin on the smart side of the truck:D

oh wait ...i do have a chevy motor in my ford:icon_rofl:

loud pipes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/94
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
that's great i am glad i was able to find that out about the intake and carb. thanks alot. that will save a big amount of time. and since it is down to that i should get the heads done. okay the only other questions i have are. fuel pump....use a mech or use a electric? and since this is a 302. I talked awhile back to a guy that owns a junk yard and he had a 79 f150 4x4 with front axle and it was a 4 speed but it was a 6. :icon_confused:anyway can i use this setup, or does it have to be a older block??????? I don't know what interchanges with a ford. thanks

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
The only main differences in the 302s over the years were crankshaft balancing and flat-tappet or roller cam blocks. Any 302 will bolt to a SBF trans.

loud pipes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/94
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
sweet, i think i am on the right track. thanks for all your help and now if i don't freeze to death maybe i can get something done on this project. I will post some pictures of the trucks soon. i will keep in touch.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you are going to use a mech. fuel pump you'll have to get an inverted pump from a 70's van.

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
with a fi 350 thats from 86 and up you will need to buy a certian intake for a carburetor. or you could buy vortec heads and a carbed intake for some more balls. the pre86 chevy cylinder heads had a different bolt pattern of the intakes and are a lot easier and cheaper to find intakes for.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals