• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Check this tire

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
um did you say 35
holy moses
you have raised it substantially then

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The ATX's are good tires, i got those on the ass of my ranger. Id put them equal to the BFG in grip in most stuff

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I think it should boil down to your priorities, street vs. offroad, and how much of your street driving is traveling to an offroad trail, vs. going to the grocery store or other in-town errands (the latter making a better case for an AT tire).
I've used MT tires almost exclusively, however I put a lot of weight on offroad performance (which the pics on my BII pages should show).
If your offroading consists more of fire roads/powerline roads and less of rocks and/or mud, then an AT tire should do you fine.

As to brand recommendations, BFG certainly makes great tires, and so does General (I've used both and been happy with them). However the best tires I've come across are Toyo (Open Country M/T & R/T, I would expect the A/T III to be good as well). They are the roundest, and therefore ride and balance exceptionally well. I wish Toyo had a 35x12.50R15 because I'd be running those on my BII rather than the General X3s I have now. Stay away from Goodyear (had two sets, the last I set returned under warranty. None of them were round. Rode like crap).

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> And the whole reason I got the XLT was for 4x4, so why not gravitate more that direction.

I have been buying retread tries from these people for years, since the green diamond days, and the w kedge grip is awesome.

I have had this tread pattern, good on rain and snow. Mud, not so much.

I bought a set of five tires of these, with the winter traction, for my B2:

Not installed yet, still lifting the B2, but, they look awesome, and I think these will really grip in the GA clay mud and on slick rocks and such.

" 22/32" tread is a lot deeper then most new tires.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good grief $270 for a 31x10.50 tire? No way. Mastercraft courser MXTs is what I run cheaper and they do great on and off road, I have put thousands of miles on them without a single issue.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Heres what i was talking about...

Mud tires basically suck for everything but mud. The BFGs A/Ts are what i run and they do equally well in about everything off road but have good road manners/wear
No not at all, mud tires do great in all situations for me, I run them in mud, sand, snow, ice, rain and on the street and never had a problem. The BFG ATs absolutely suck, you couldn't give me a set, the Ranger I just bought has a set of practically brand new ones on it, and they are just as awful as I remember them being years ago. I honestly have no clue why people like them, if you never leave the pavement they are fine, I can't even climb the small hill in my yard with them when it rains, my vehicles with MT tires have no problems at all, I will be selling them. I did really like the old BFG KM2s, not really a fan of the KM3s though, they are more like a aggressive AT tire than a true MT.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
No not at all, mud tires do great in all situations for me, I run them in mud, sand, snow, ice, rain and on the street and never had a problem. The BFG ATs absolutely suck, you couldn't give me a set, the Ranger I just bought has a set of practically brand new ones on it, and they are just as awful as I remember them being years ago. I honestly have no clue why people like them, if you never leave the pavement they are fine, I can't even climb the small hill in my yard with them when it rains, my vehicles with MT tires have no problems at all, I will be selling them. I did really like the old BFG KM2s, not really a fan of the KM3s though, they are more like a aggressive AT tire than a true MT.
No offense but youre literally the only person ive ever heard say anything bad about the KO2's. But to each their own.

I had a set of BFG M/T's and they were worthless in everything but mud.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
No offense but youre literally the only person ive ever heard say anything bad about the KO2's. But to each their own.

I agree. I always got good results with the BFG A/Ts. But it really depends on where you are. He mentions having trouble in the yard when it rains. My experience is that if that's a reference to wet grass, almost nothing seems to work well in wet grass. In that situation, you're going to spin until you dig through and start making a mess in the soil underneath. It's just going to happen.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I agree. I always got good results with the BFG A/Ts. But it really depends on where you are. He mentions having trouble in the yard when it rains. My experience is that if that's a reference to wet grass, almost nothing seems to work well in wet grass. In that situation, you're going to spin until you dig through and start making a mess in the soil underneath. It's just going to happen.
Ive never gave much thought to grass, but i cant imagine an M/T would rip it up less then an A/T

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Wet grass is as good as ice, especially if it's thick&healthy.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Wet grass is as good as ice, especially if it's thick&healthy.
Thats what your right foot is for though. It grows back.

Shoulda seen what i did to the yard at the old house when i got my F250 stuck with the camper on in the yard.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

I have a set of like new 265/75/16s I will be selling soon then if you are intrested, I hate them.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ive never gave much thought to grass, but i cant imagine an M/T would rip it up less then an A/T
The ATs fill up with mud and become slicks, MTs clean out and climb it easily.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I have a set of like new 265/75/16s I will be selling soon then if you are intrested, I hate them.
Dont need them

The ATs fill up with mud and become slicks, MTs clean out and climb it easily.
I get that...and ive said either in this thread or another the A/Ts arnt great in mud (they will self clean but you gotta spin obnoxiously fast).

But they are better then M/T's on every other conceveable terrain...except maybe rock...dont do any crawling.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Dont need them

I get that...and ive said either in this thread or another the A/Ts arnt great in mud (they will self clean but you gotta spin obnoxiously fast).

But they are better then M/T's on every other conceveable terrain...except maybe rock...dont do any crawling.
I have yet to be in any terrain where ATs are noticeably better than MTs. My MTs can do everything ATs can do plus more.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals