• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changing oil

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
People seem to buy alot of coffee, maybe ford should sell coffee?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
People seem to buy alot of coffee, maybe ford should sell coffee?

I thought Hyundai sold coffee makers? Maybe ford could do a deal with Hyundai to put their coffee makers in their trucks?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford wanted to prop up their numbers on the F-150, their pride and joy, and the Ranger sales were declining. Supposedly enough that what money they were making was drying up. That seemed to work for a while until the market changed.

When they brought back the Ranger, their car sales were drying up. So, now they are focused on trucks and SUVs with vans in the mix.

It all comes down to money and the market. What are most of their customers buying and where are we starting to lose money?
IMHO the Ranger's previous demise was partially Ford shooting themselves in the foot too.

Ranger was last redone in '98, it should have been refreshed again in the mid 00's. I think it was around '06 Toyota finally dethroned it as the top selling compact pickup.

But no, Ford just kept running basically the same 1998 truck (with a new grille now and then) and wondering why "the market changed"

Up until nearly the end the Ranger was still outselling the Titan. IMO people wanted them but maybe they didn't want something that looked like a 1993 truck from the back...

I read somewhere Ford intended on killing the Ranger in the mid 00's but they still sold so well they just kept the line running.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The ranger got a half assed attempt at modernizing it in 2010 with rear discs, stability control, and side air bags. It wouldn't have taken a whole lot to bring it into the 21st century from there. It already had the base for a 2.3 Ecoboost in it so that would not have been a hard swap, a better transmission and some better tech gizmos and they could have basically left everything else alone and kept selling them up to 2019. A double din radio fits the 98-2011 so adding a touch screen infotainment screen would have been easy as well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The ranger got a half assed attempt at modernizing it in 2010 with rear discs, stability control, and side air bags. It wouldn't have taken a whole lot to bring it into the 21st century from there. It already had the base for a 2.3 Ecoboost in it so that would not have been a hard swap, a better transmission and some better tech gizmos and they could have basically left everything else alone and kept selling them up to 2019. A double din radio fits the 98-2011 so adding a touch screen infotainment screen would have been easy as well.
Yeah but it really needed a lot more before then.

By 2010 the ship was pretty well already sinking.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not arguing that at all. They were already 15 years behind the times in 1998 when they got the last major "upgrade". Just saying the pieces were there if Ford really wanted to do it. They just gave up and never wanted to do the work to truly modernize it, they just let it fall behind for too long. No one wanted to buy a brand new truck in the mid 2000's that had technology from the mid 1980's...

The only upside was that if you waited around long enough dealers were basically giving them away. I got my truck for $12k brand new and there were a bunch of them sitting in the back. I should have bought 2 or 3. :icon_rofl:

Last edited:

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
I got my truck for $12k brand new and there were a bunch of them sitting in the back. I should have bought 2 or 3. :icon_rofl:
Amen to that. If you find something you like, stock up before they ruin it.

Since I was a Tacoma guy for the last 2 decades I never really even looked at anything else. I now find myself noticing the styling of the previous years of Rangers and think "I wish they still made those...." Especially the flare side models... I mean... tell me this isn't a beautiful truck?

Ranger Flareside.jpg

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
When they discontinued the Ranger we were all shocked and assumed that the knobhead who renamed the Taurus as the Five Hundred and killed our mid size sales had moved to the truck division. I thought at the time(and still do) that they should have stuck the 2.3 EcoBoost from the Mustang( the one they use in the new truck), along with the 6 speed automatic into a freshened version of the 2011 truck. Maybe some aluminum body panels, and F150ish grill and call it the F100 Ranger so they could count them as F series sales. Instead they gave Nissan and Toyota a huge gift.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
When they discontinued the Ranger we were all shocked and assumed that the knobhead who renamed the Taurus as the Five Hundred and killed our mid size sales had moved to the truck division.....
I've always been amazed by that. People who aren't bright enough to buy a mid size sedan based on something other than name recognition should have their licenses revoked....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When they discontinued the Ranger we were all shocked and assumed that the knobhead who renamed the Taurus as the Five Hundred and killed our mid size sales had moved to the truck division. I thought at the time(and still do) that they should have stuck the 2.3 EcoBoost from the Mustang( the one they use in the new truck), along with the 6 speed automatic into a freshened version of the 2011 truck. Maybe some aluminum body panels, and F150ish grill and call it the F100 Ranger so they could count them as F series sales. Instead they gave Nissan and Toyota a huge gift.
The Mustang didn't get the EB until later, like '15 or later.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I can't disagree on the reasons posed for the Ranger's demise. It was old and tired by the time they discontinued the NA Ranger. I always felt they viewed the Ranger as the red-headed step child. Even the 2019+ Ranger is mostly off the shelf parts from other vehicles. That is a good thing in some ways. They figured out the pit falls and faults of the individual major components before it got put into the Ranger. The down side is some of them weren't completely fixed, the technology can be old, and some of them weren't meant for truck duty and shouldn't have been used in the first place.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I farted in your soup. Please provide receipts for any damages to my insurance company.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've always been amazed by that. People who aren't bright enough to buy a mid size sedan based on something other than name recognition should have their licenses revoked....
Many people do just that. They'd come in looking for a new Taurus and weren't interested in a Five Hundred. One 15 year Taurus owner used to come in at 7:30 to get his car serviced before going home from the night shift. For 3 years he walked by a row of Five Hundreds on his way in, when the first 08 Taurus was sitting there with them- the only difference from the back was the tail lights- he bought it within 3 days. The Five Hundred used a ZF CVT transmission which was a typical, overcomplicated, brutally expensive to fix, German P.O.S. and the Taurus had the new 6 speed but he wouldn't have known the difference. Lexus owners wouldn't believe they own a conceited Toyota. Some poor schmucks pay more money for a GMC instead of a Chevy when the difference is the trim. Mercury owners never seemed surprised or questioned why our Ford only dealer so often had parts in stock for their "better built" Mercury.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Many people do just that. They'd come in looking for a new Taurus and weren't interested in a Five Hundred. One 15 year Taurus owner used to come in at 7:30 to get his car serviced before going home from the night shift. For 3 years he walked by a row of Five Hundreds on his way in, when the first 08 Taurus was sitting there with them- the only difference from the back was the tail lights- he bought it within 3 days. The Five Hundred used a ZF CVT transmission which was a typical, overcomplicated, brutally expensive to fix, German P.O.S. and the Taurus had the new 6 speed but he wouldn't have known the difference. Lexus owners wouldn't believe they own a conceited Toyota. Some poor schmucks pay more money for a GMC instead of a Chevy when the difference is the trim. Mercury owners never seemed surprised or questioned why our Ford only dealer so often had parts in stock for their "better built" Mercury.
I have one customer that hates Fords but LOVES his wife's MKX...

And for that matter when JI Case bought the ag line of International Harvester a lot of super die hard IH guys fell in love with a Case painted red...

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Mostly I think it was a matter that the Eff One Fiddy is a huge moneymaker and they’d rather people bought those. Realistically they don’t cost much more and the mpg is similar to a 4.0 Ranger. In my case I don’t really need a big truck and at my house there really isn’t anywhere to park one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals