• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Center console for manual transmission?

2001FORDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
6cy
Transmission
Manual
60/40 = 60% driver seat w/ center seat, 40% passenger seat = 100% seat.

Buckets are often referred to 40/40, 40% each seat, 20% center console.

Yes....01 and older explorer seats will bolt directly to your 2001 ranger....as long as it's extended cab.

60/40 mod is converting your 60 seat to a 40, aka converting it to a bucket seat. When done, you wont be able to tell it was cut up with the install of the center console.

you are a good man for answering my question so fast and with great detail.

one more question please.

so from what I understand their are 2 center console from a ford exployer i could use. 1- is long and the other is short. remember i have a 5-speed manual and hate where the cupholders are located and the armrest sucks . So which yr frod exployer can I pull the center console out to fit my year ranger? thks

p.s I get all of this free at the ford recycle center because my good friend owns 3 of the yards which are in magnificent. (free)

2001FORDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
6cy
Transmission
Manual
60/40 = 60% driver seat w/ center seat, 40% passenger seat = 100% seat.

Buckets are often referred to 40/40, 40% each seat, 20% center console.

Yes....01 and older explorer seats will bolt directly to your 2001 ranger....as long as it's extended cab.

60/40 mod is converting your 60 seat to a 40, aka converting it to a bucket seat. When done, you wont be able to tell it was cut up with the install of the center console.

One more question. I just got off the phone with the ford recycle yard and told Tim what i needed. He sated that a ford exployer of any years bucket seats will not fit in a ranger of any year and that he knows this because although the guys say this on the boards. He is a junk yard that has tried and seen it all and that I was wrong. He then stated what i was trying to do.

So I stated that I would like the leather bucket seats form the 01 ford exployer to install in my 01 ford ranger 2-dr xlt and that they were a direct swap with no modifications. He saids no way it will work. and I would loose the armerest and I told him I was doing the retrofit for that as well from the same car and he said it will never work.

Guys I laugh; as I feel he is pissed I know the owners and get all the parts free. I have seen the pics and seen what you guys have done. Again I have a 2001 ford exployer xlt 2-dr/ with those 2-additional seats that come from the side of the rear. So again will this work as a direct swap? what yrs bucket seats exactly do I have to work with from the ford exployer?

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2001 and older "bolt up", and i say it that way because i swapped in a set for my dad (he has a 2006 ext-cab ranger), and the set i installed for him were from a 2001 exploder sport (2 door), the ONLY mods needed were wires run to the drivers side for the power track, and the use of a step bit to open up the holes in the mounts.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
95-01 Explorer, 95-05ish Explorer Sport, 99-05ish Explorer Sport Trac are 'bolt-in'. There may be a drilling out of a hole or two, but it'll fit. You've seen it in many many threads here.

What I really enjoy, is knowing more about ford rangers, than the people at the ford dealer knows. lol! It's amazing what'll fit in a ranger from other ford products....explorers share the same interior and same front frame.

There are two different consoles you can use.....1. Referred to as a 'shorty' console. The other, referred to as a 'full length' console. As long as the dash is exactly like your ranger, and it came from an explorer, it'll fit.

Full length with manual shifter(not bodylift truck) is posted earlier in this thread.

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2001 ranger xcab w/ 99 explorer leather power seats and 02 ranger center console w/ 99 armrest. lol.

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
best pic i got of it....same truck as above...but a year ago....

same seats, but full length console(painted)

as you can telll....the truck used to be an auto.

2001FORDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
6cy
Transmission
Manual
2001 ranger xcab w/ 99 explorer leather power seats and 02 ranger center console w/ 99 armrest. lol.

So i see the console is separate from the shfter are consol RIGHT!
And did you have to modify it to bolt down?
I assume the center console for my 01 ranger 2-dr xlt would have to come from a 99 year only?
Is that a shorty or long center console?
So I could wire the seats up to a non-power seat ranger.? how do I go by doing this? thks

ahurtinalbertan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
People keep mentioning that seats out of an X will only fit the Ext-cab Rangers. Why will they not fit into the regular cab trucks? One would think that you always sit a cetain distance from the wheel and that most seats are a simlar dimension as most people are a similar dimension (with the exception of dwarfs, giants and Mark Whalburg)

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
People keep mentioning that seats out of an X will only fit the Ext-cab Rangers. Why will they not fit into the regular cab trucks? One would think that you always sit a cetain distance from the wheel and that most seats are a simlar dimension as most people are a similar dimension (with the exception of dwarfs, giants and Mark Whalburg)
IIRC you have to swap the exploder tracks, for the rangers tracks, but it's just some rivet drilling/grinding and it all bolts back up.

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
^^YEP! Reg cab tracks are significanty longer.....expo seats wont just bolt right in to a reg cab...with a little work, they can. Tracks are generally either riveted on or bolted onto the seat frame. Don't forget your pretentioners as well....

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
best pic i got of it....same truck as above...but a year ago....

same seats, but full length console(painted)

as you can telll....the truck used to be an auto.
What did you do with the passenger air bag switch?

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it's like what i did with my dads left it turned off and tied it up in the dash.

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
^^Exactly. it's easily accessable though..in case you want to switch it. That front cover just snaps on and off.

jcolgan_42

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
search '60/40 mod'. it's converting your 60 into a 40. tons of folks have done it, including me.
Thanks, I'll do that.
What year or years 40 seat would fit in my '94 Ranger ext cab ??

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals