• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB Questions

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i had a little wil before my frances and it worked great until just recently and i think it started to get a short in the base somewhere. sometimes I'd get signal and then I'd loose it

_Kyle_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
My lil wilson was a great antenna when I had it on my Jeep. When tunes properly, I had amazing range with it. I need to find another for my exploder now as the antenna on it currently sucks.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
IMHO, Wilson is the best mass made antenna on the market, the Firestik is widely used and appears to work, the K40 not sure haven't used one in a long time, then there is the Monkey Made, they are big (& $$$) but from stats work great.

The CB, again IMHO, Uniden is the best Communication gear fro general use; their scanners are the best available, their phones are good and their CB, NICE stuff and affordable.
They make a Pro 510 or the Pro 520 (has PA and RF Gain) both good CBs and available at most department stores for around the $60 mark or from an On-Line Store like Walcott CB ( http://www.walcottcb.com/uniden-pro520xl-compact-cb-radio-with-pa-jack-p-532.html?cPath=340_377 ) or Right Channel Radio ( http://www.rightchannelradios.com/uniden-cb-radios-129/uniden-bearcat-pro-520xl-cb-radio-195.html ); both come in at $60.

As stated by others, buy a good quality Antenna then buy some good quality coax (Belden RG 8X) and then look for a good CB.
Run the coax to the antenna away from power lines and the computer.
Mount the antenna so the Mount has a good ground; even if you have to add an additional braided strap to the frame.
Get the antenna tuned for low SWR.

Talk to whom ever you can talk to.

Luck to ya,

tony314

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
IMHO, Wilson is the best mass made antenna on the market, the Firestik is widely used and appears to work, the K40 not sure haven't used one in a long time, then there is the Monkey Made, they are big (& $$$) but from stats work great.

The CB, again IMHO, Uniden is the best Communication gear fro general use; their scanners are the best available, their phones are good and their CB, NICE stuff and affordable.
They make a Pro 510 or the Pro 520 (has PA and RF Gain) both good CBs and available at most department stores for around the $60 mark or from an On-Line Store like Walcott CB ( http://www.walcottcb.com/uniden-pro520xl-compact-cb-radio-with-pa-jack-p-532.html?cPath=340_377 ) or Right Channel Radio ( http://www.rightchannelradios.com/uniden-cb-radios-129/uniden-bearcat-pro-520xl-cb-radio-195.html ); both come in at $60.

As stated by others, buy a good quality Antenna then buy some good quality coax (Belden RG 8X) and then look for a good CB.
Run the coax to the antenna away from power lines and the computer.
Mount the antenna so the Mount has a good ground; even if you have to add an additional braided strap to the frame.
Get the antenna tuned for low SWR.

Talk to whom ever you can talk to.

Luck to ya,
+ 10 WELL put! :icon_thumby:

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
As for CB's mentioned, Cobra's are made by Uniden. As for the model to get, depends on what kind of range and how loud you want to sound. A max 5 mile type range with decent volume, Cobra 19, Pro 510, Pro 520 etc. More distance and volume, Cobra 29 and the like. Most volume and distance, Galaxy 10 meter converted to an 11 meter, Cobra 148 GTL, Super Star and like radio's.

As for antenna's, like others I only recommend Wilson steel whip antenna's. As for the difference between Wilson's and K40's, you won't really see a difference unless you run a system with power. Wilson designed there's with a better center load than K40 which translates into the following example.

K40-first TX puts out 500 watts. 2nd TX 375 watts and so on. It gets hot on the center load because of its design and lets less power out each time its keyed up.

Wilson steel whip-1st TX 500 watts. 2nd TX 500 watts and so on. Air gap greater to allow for quicker cooling.

this test can even be proven with a good SWR/Power meter. If you want to spend the money on the antenna's just to try it out. I've done things with my radio that would make you call BS, but there are others out there that can do the same for those that are really into radios like I am. Try channel 6 or 11 almost any day of the week with a stock radio and see if you get a word in. I can. :) Operators on those channels talk from state to state and sometimes continent to continent with there radios.

Post isn't to brag, just to let everybody interested know the differencesbefore they buy one set up and then discover it's not what they want and spend more to UPGRADE. CB's are expensive hobbies too.

Prodigous Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just a question, I wired my CB into the cigarette lighter power supply because I took out the ashtray and slid the CB in the slot. Approximately how much will this affect my signals? is it worth worrying about or is it just for those optimization details?

Doug Metheny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i am running 3 atennas in my ranger actuly a little will magnetic and 2 dual whips i cant remember the whips but my first fear was over modulating my radio but that didnt happen.

and prodigous ranger i have run my power to the cb from my 12v supply in the truck and "right" way i honestly didnt see a diffrence but i could be wronge that is my opnion

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So after doing some research i still cant find any mounts that would put it where i want it. I was wondering if the magnetic mounts work alright? i would rather not go that route but i may not have a choice
I have a firestick NGP antenna and it has a mirror mount bracket that I just bolted on to the cab corner. I'm sure you could probably get it bolted into the bed corner if you try hard enough.

You can kinda see where it is in this picture, but I don't have any of the actual mounting.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Post isn't to brag, just to let everybody interested know the differencesbefore they buy one set up and then discover it's not what they want and spend more to UPGRADE. CB's are expensive hobbies too.
I did this tonight. My new Prostar has a hell of a radio setup and I didn't hear shit.

WarriorPrincess

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Galaxy DX 959 with SSB with dual attennas.

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Cobra 19, Pro 510, Pro 520 etc. More distance and volume, Cobra 29 and the like. Most volume and distance, Galaxy 10 meter converted to an 11 meter, Cobra 148 GTL, Super Star and like radio's.

I'll throw the BS flag on this. As a tech, I'll tell you that out of the box ALL CB radios IAW FCC are modulated at 85% and blow a max of 4 watts.

K40-first TX puts out 500 watts. 2nd TX 375 watts and so on. It gets hot on the center load because of its design and lets less power out each time its keyed up.

Wilson steel whip-1st TX 500 watts. 2nd TX 500 watts and so on. Air gap greater to allow for quicker cooling.

Again; who cares? FCC Regs state 4W max on AM. You'll think that your rig costs alot until you get slapped with a fine.

I've done things with my radio that would make you call BS, but there are others out there that can do the same for those that are really into radios like I am.

If you're so "into it" why not get a HAM license and do it legally?

Operators on those channels talk from state to state and sometimes continent to continent with there radios.

FCC regs state 155 miles maximum with a legal radio.

Post isn't to brag, (really?) just to let everybody interested know (how it's done illegally) before they buy one set up and then discover it's not what they want and spend more to UPGRADE. CB's are expensive hobbies too.
A good radio operator who knows his equipment can talk around the world with 1 watt and a good antenna. With an "out of the box" radio of 4 watts and a quality antenna (yes, mag mounts work well) you can talk quite some distance. If you want an extremely good mobile antenna get yourself a simple 1/4 wave (8.5') steel whip. They're fairly inexpensive and very survivable off road.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
A good radio operator who knows his equipment can talk around the world with 1 watt and a good antenna. With an "out of the box" radio of 4 watts and a quality antenna (yes, mag mounts work well) you can talk quite some distance. If you want an extremely good mobile antenna get yourself a simple 1/4 wave (8.5') steel whip. They're fairly inexpensive and very survivable off road.
1. holy thread revive man!
2. agreed... HAM is the way to go. period... better for on road/off road... more reliable than cell phones... better distance, don't have to stay at a legal 4 watts...so on, so much more...

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
1. holy thread revive man!
Yeah, sorry about the revival AND the sermon, but this stuff really torques me. I just happened upon the Communications forum, I'm usually stuck up on the Ranger/BII side and then I run into this type of garbage.

You don't need a lot of power to have a good working radio. In fact in many cases I have to turn down the RF gain to block out some of the garbage that this kind of immature mindset spouts both on an off the radio. I wish the FCC was more on top of this band.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, sorry about the revival AND the sermon, but this stuff really torques me. I just happened upon the Communications forum, I'm usually stuck up on the Ranger/BII side and then I run into this type of garbage.

You don't need a lot of power to have a good working radio. In fact in many cases I have to turn down the RF gain to block out some of the garbage that this kind of immature mindset spouts both on an off the radio. I wish the FCC was more on top of this band.
more power is not always better transmitting/receiving... however, IMO CB is still garbage anyways... if you ever get used to 2 meter or any other HAM band and you won't usually go back to CB

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals