• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

carb to efi swap tank and pump options

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
oddly enough mine does have the plastic filler hose/tube, but i would like to get a rubber one as they sound more common, this way im not stuck with a brand new fuel tank(for a plastic filler tube) with a hard to find plastic filler hose.

so if anyone does have a rubber filler hose i need one.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
well im ready to order parts, now i ran into a nother problem.
im looking at the fuel pump assembly and they offer 2 different ones.
AIRTEX part number E2096S
AIRTEX part number E2095S
one is listed as a rear tank and one is listed as a center tank, does anyone know which one i need, again my truck will be a 83 ranger with a 85 and or 86-88 tank (they are the same),standard cab,standard box.?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Another member posted a warning about Airtex pumps recently...his experience said to stay away from them whenever possible.

I recently went from carb to efi but I did something a little different...I bought a 96 Ranger with a 98 2.5 installed and running and simply swapped the cab and box onto the frame (after removing the old cab that was rusted out)...

I then had to swap in the heater box and modify the driver side a bit for the electrical...oh, and the dash swap was the final mod...still not finished, but I might have it done by spring...

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
im guessing its the center one?
there is also one offered that is after the axle i guess too.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
Well I guys, I finally got around to ordering these parts, I ordered a fuel tank for a 85-88 efi 108 wheel base as my truck is a 83 regular cab short box.
well I went to fit the tank and it just does not fit correctly to me, the new tank has a slightly raised portion and it is hitting the crossmember that is right at the rear of the cab. My org 83 tank was not raised like that, and fit really nice.
so I don't if ford changed that crossmember slightly, maybe had a longer bolt after 83 or if by chance the tank is wrong.
even if the strap would fit the top of the tank would only be getting held in there by that raises portion which is only about a 1 or so inches long, where as the orginal 84 carbed tank was nice and flat on the top and the whole thing would be makinging contact and sitting securely, once the strap was tightened.
what's happening is the new tank does not tuck up there as nice and the strap won't reach around the tank far enough to get it to go thru the bolt.
has anyone else had any problems with this?

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I can't remember...I've lowered and raised the tank on my 88 regular cab and the 88 extended cab...in fact, I took the gas tank from the reg cab and put it in the extended cab because it was new and it had no in-tank pump...fit perfectly...but they were both 88 frames...

I would say maybe there are two different lengths of straps but check with the parts store where you bought the tank...if you are using the old straps with the new tank...or maybe see if there is a difference between say an 88 and the 83 strap.

But...are these the straps with the notches that fit into the frame on the side near the frame rail and are bolted to the cross member on the other side?

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
I can't remember...I've lowered and raised the tank on my 88 regular cab and the 88 extended cab...in fact, I took the gas tank from the reg cab and put it in the extended cab because it was new and it had no in-tank pump...fit perfectly...but they were both 88 frames...

I would say maybe there are two different lengths of straps but check with the parts store where you bought the tank...if you are using the old straps with the new tank...or maybe see if there is a difference between say an 88 and the 83 strap.

But...are these the straps with the notches that fit into the frame on the side near the frame rail and are bolted to the cross member on the other side?
What's the wheelbase on them, or box size?.
Yes, the straps have those notches that fit in the frame.
The straps I have are the orginal 83 ones, but I also ordered new st18 straps that fit 83 to 88 rangers according to rockauto, I compared them to my stock ones and both where the same.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The single cab had a 108" wheel base (I think) and the ext cab was 120" or so...the main difference between the reg and ext cab is approx 12"...that's the depth from just behind the door to the back edge of the cab.

The boxes are the same length between them because I took a 92 regular cab box and put it on the 96 ext cab frame with the 88 ext cab and everything lined up perfectly. The box is 6' from what I remember...I will have to go out and measure it again...and I can measure the ext cab (reg box, not long box) wheel base.

I do not have the 88 frame any more since swapping everything onto the 96 was necessary...so I can't offer relevant measurements...88 frame had too much rust on it...but everything seemed to be in pretty much the same place even though the 96 straps are very different from the earlier years. The box and cab mounted exactly the same from an 88 to a 96...only minor changes...but the cross members might be in different places...

Edit: OK, the ext cab is actually 128" and the box is 6'...

Last edited:

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking at the Dorman catalog if the pictures are correct, looks like you need Dorman part number 576-124 (1988-85 Ranger Under Cab, Large Gauge Hole 3-5/8", Rubber Filler).

You old tank was Dorman 576-123 (1984-83 Ranger Under Cab, Small Gauge Hole 2", Rubber Filler).

That's if the pictures in the Dorman catalog is correct (page 183 in link below).
http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/OESolutions2006/177-194FuelTanks.pdf

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
What's the wheelbase on them, or box size?.
Yes, the straps have those notches that fit in the frame.
The straps I have are the orginal 83 ones, but I also ordered new st18 straps that fit 83 to 88 rangers according to rockauto, I compared them to my stock ones and both where the same.
I meant to ask you but forgot...are the straps you have the same length? I seem to remember the tank was maybe a bit bigger at one side than the other so a slight difference in strap length could make or break the install...

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
I will post up some pics tom. showing everyone my problem.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
well guys i try to post up some pics soon. What i ended up doing, was taking the 108 wheel base tank and putting it in the press and crushing that raised portion.
it fits just as good as the stock 83 one now.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
haha...well, one way or another...git er done!

:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals