• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb for a small Onan generator

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My boss got a cute little Onan K450 generator, it's a whopping 450 peak watts, it runs but the carb has a hole corroded in the bowl and well he's screwed with things enough I wouldn't trust it... The carb is a Mikuni with a 15mm bore, the only numbers I see on it are a 4 with a 62 under it on the engine side flange.

On the looking I've done so far it looks like the K series generators were only made for a couple years, engines by Kawasaki. There's very little info out there and I'm not a member of smokstak to download the one list I saw... many searches are too smart and think I meant to look for 4500w units...

Figured I'd ask the one place I spend time on.

Thanks,

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Got any other info in the engine? HP maybe? Pic of the carb?

Onan shit is VERY hard to come by and generally VERY pricy

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
He has the generator at his house but the carb is on my desk at work, I'll get a pic in the morning... I haven't taken it apart myself but it apparently has a donut float like the one on my jumping jack...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
He has the generator at his house but the carb is on my desk at work, I'll get a pic in the morning... I haven't taken it apart myself but it apparently has a donut float like the one on my jumping jack...
Get me a pic, and see if he can give you any more info on the motor...and ill go on a hunting trip for ya.

After buying that yazoo mower ive gotten pretty good at hunting down super obscure, obsolete since 1991 parts.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Heres what i found after a bit of digging...

According to this....

they used two different kawasaki engine models...

GN550-DG-A3

GS130-DG-A-2-3

(I believe these are engine numbers, they are listed with engine specs in the above link, they could be generator model numbers as well)

However when i googled those numbers nothing really came up.

It seems these were somewhat popular little guys though despite only being made a few years....so maybe there is hope.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It's been a busy week, I took a couple pics of the carb but haven't stopped long enough to post them...

Today the boss talked me into taking the carb apart on my desk and I don't think it's as bad as I expected, turns out he couldn't get part of the carb apart before, not sure what to call it but it's where the main jet on a briggs would be going up the post but it's long and goes around another brass tube that goes up into the venturi that another jet goes to in the top of the carb... the thing he was talking about that didn't make sense is apparently a small piece of wire down in the main jet in the bowl bolt that was just sitting there, doesn't sound like it should have been there? Anyway now that I got that piece he couldn't get out out I threw it in my sonic cleaner for 40 minutes (he's already ran it through his for like 2 hours...).

For the hole in the bowl we're just going to epoxy it closed, I found the marine epoxy I have which should be sufficient, if not he'll get some JB weld, I dremeled out the inside with a wire brush bit so it should be clean enough now.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
As an update to this as he just got the carb on the other day. First try the needle apparently leaked and it was leaking gas out the throat but he ran it again last night and it did run, sounds like it had issues getting up to speed but that could be the needle setting. So far the JB weld in the float bowl is working...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
As an update to this as he just got the carb on the other day. First try the needle apparently leaked and it was leaking gas out the throat but he ran it again last night and it did run, sounds like it had issues getting up to speed but that could be the needle setting. So far the JB weld in the float bowl is working...
I jb welded a cracked block on a 19hp kohler courage....and ran it that way untill it mosquito fogged the neighboorhood with oil smoke.

It should hold a float bowl fine

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It was even the old slow stuff, said right on it safe for most fuel and solvents so I figure as much...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals