• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Capability of a 3/4 drop

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
How would a 3/4 drop fair in the snow or hauling firewood? Because I can't decide if I want to drop my truck or lift it. Suggestions? Comments?

sacredauto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
none...currently
Transmission
Automatic
i put a washer and dryer in the back of my already on the bumpstops 4/5 drop, as long as you don't mind a bumpy ride whille hauling you won't have an issue with it, can't say much for the snow seeing as i live in eastern North carolina though

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I kinda live in WI, so I was wondering about the snow part.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How does a car fair in the snow? The issue with snow isn't the truck it's the driver. If you can drive fine in the snow where you live in a smaller car then you would be able to do fine in the truck lowered, because you'd have as much ground clearance if not more.

As for the fire wood. It will hit the bump stops on the rear axle quicker than if it weren't lowered, but it will not change the load rating of the truck. You also always have the option of trimming the bump stops to give more clearance if you find you are hitting them.

jamesberk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
man I got a 4/5 with cut bump stops and over a speen bump my axle hits the frame. (depending on the speed) i sit 3 people in my box and we are testing on the axle. JoshT makes a very valid point about how you drive in the snow and what not. Just get good tires and put weight in the box and you'll be fine.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
How does a car fair in the snow? The issue with snow isn't the truck it's the driver. If you can drive fine in the snow where you live in a smaller car then you would be able to do fine in the truck lowered, because you'd have as much ground clearance if not more.

As for the fire wood. It will hit the bump stops on the rear axle quicker than if it weren't lowered, but it will not change the load rating of the truck. You also always have the option of trimming the bump stops to give more clearance if you find you are hitting them.
You're right. I used to have a Tercel with bad coil springs and it rode low. I managed through a winter with that. I think I can manage a 3/4 dropped truck.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
man I got a 4/5 with cut bump stops and over a speen bump my axle hits the frame. (depending on the speed) i sit 3 people in my box and we are testing on the axle. JoshT makes a very valid point about how you drive in the snow and what not. Just get good tires and put weight in the box and you'll be fine.
I'd still suggest trying as every truck is different. If that won't work and you cannot stand the bumpier ride when hauling firewood there are many load assist options that can probably be adapted to fit the truck. I.E.: Almost any load assist made for an Explorer should work since they are spring over from the factory, but otherwise are pretty much the same as the Ranger.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I drive my bagged daily ranger in the snow and haul fire wood with it :)

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
drop or lift....

drop or lift?

You have a large decision to make, Grasshopper......

the front bumper might push another 3" of snow....but i think you can handle that....LOL

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
lift it or dont do anything with it, firewood will definately be a downer in the snow.

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
You'll be fine. My 96 is dropped 5/6 and in winter has 24" tall snow tires on it. I moved several times in it, hauled appliances without issue. It depends on how you drop the rear for clearance. I'm still spring under, I bought lowering springs for it so I didn't loose the drop + the axle thickness. My bump stops are cut in half for a little extra space. I use to run it close, but never had an issue.

James

waynaferd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Heres my experience, in both a low sitting 96 thunderbird and a 7" lifted F-150 with 35's....if you happen to go off the road in the winter, you'll go alot farther in a lifted vehicle (providing you stay upright), making it that much harder to get unstuck.

My friend has a lifted dodge diesel, so both times were pretty easy, but we needed A LOT more chain to get to my F-150 than we did to the T-bird LOL

Only downside is that it was alot harder to get all the branches and mud cleaned out from under the T-bird.

Army

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Haul the wood.....before it snows :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals