• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can you guys help me out with this buy?

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
hey a fyi just looked at the ad. for the 84 and the guy droped it to $900. and good luck with the search.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We will see how it goes there. I might just go take a look at that Mazda. I just wish I could ad some AC in a fuel injected. I guess I am going to have to deal with Texas Heat with a Carb engine. yay...
I'd be weary of someone who rebuilds the engine, and tries to dump the truck off 55 miles later.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2.8's have strong heads so i wouldn't be worried about that and the computers are fine its the TFI modules that go out and they are like 20$ (I never had mine go out in the 4 years I've driven it). plus if you don't have to worry about emissions you can do a Duraspark swap on it for real cheap. I love my 2.8! :D

Hope you find a good truck.

KrAzy KoOl MaN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2.8's have strong heads so i wouldn't be worried about that and the computers are fine its the TFI modules that go out and they are like 20$ (I never had mine go out in the 4 years I've driven it). plus if you don't have to worry about emissions you can do a Duraspark swap on it for real cheap. I love my 2.8! :D

Hope you find a good truck.
OOHH, Ok well thanks Original Ranger for the clarification. Well, that changes that. I am now considering the 2.8L, but the guy still has not answered my email... I hope he hasn't sold it:bawling:.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Dude... don't even complain. lol I have to deal with a carb in sub zero temps. Not fun. Why don't you want a 2.8 or 2.9? they are both great engines. With that budget i wouldn't be expecting a true gem its your first truck its gonna be a piecer and you'll fix it up and learn as you go along. I was lucky to get mine from my dad who kept it pretty well maintained and I have continued that. I'll look in your craigslist thing.

Heres an 84 2.8L with a 5spd $1000. I love my 84 the 2.8L is a fun engine just a pain with the vaccum lines.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1314983139.html
and the cracked heads.... (since you did not fill the coolant right)
and the exploding fiber timing gears......
and the electrical chaos....(convert it to duraspark)
and the change out of the thermostat... (it's at the BOTTOM of the motor)

Fuel pump is a pain to replace, I would find a Ranger with the 2.0L or 2.3L, much easier to work on, and simpler.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 2.8, but it's just a contant fixer.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
and the cracked heads.... (since you did not fill the coolant right)
and the exploding fiber timing gears......
and the electrical chaos....(convert it to duraspark)
and the change out of the thermostat... (it's at the BOTTOM of the motor)

Fuel pump is a pain to replace, I would find a Ranger with the 2.0L or 2.3L, much easier to work on, and simpler.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 2.8, but it's just a contant fixer.
Never cracked a head EVER! and been way too low on coolent overheating it... so strong head iMO. Fiber gear... unless you drive like a dumbass I have no clue how you would explode one... You mean Vaccum chaos? yeah switch to duraspark as I suggested. Thermostat is simple...

'95 ranger

09/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1989, 200
Make / Model
Subaru, FORD
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3, 4.OH
Transmission
Manual
where are the pictures you promised? lol

KrAzy KoOl MaN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
:icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue:GUYS GUYS I bought my TRUCK :icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue:

I am estatic. I runs GREAT, and it was what I wanted. A 2.3L, manual transmission. It is a 1991. I would love to to post pics, but I can't at the moment.

The good stuff...
The motor runs GREAT :icon_bounceblue::yahoo: (the most important thing by far)
Manual Transmission
Interior is in good condition.

The bad....
It needs a paint job. (I will get to that this weekend)
It has no AC (by this I mean its cooling system is not equipped for AC, I will have to slowly adapt it, but the good thing is that summer is almost over)
It has no power steering (They obviously rebuilt the engine. The odometer shows 436,000 miles. :dunno: but they rebuilt the engine and it runs good, but I think they left out the power steering system. So I hope I can get it out of another truck. Anyone know how complicated the system is? Is it hard to put on the truck? . I will post this question on the steering forum.

So over all, I love my truck, and I think it runs better than 100 horsepower. I think it runs great, and it has taken a little beating on the transmission since I am learning still, but I am doing so much better, and It does not stall on me anymore. Took me 2 days to learn :icon_thumby:.

When I do get the pics though I will go to the intro forum to officialy introduce me to the forum with my Truck.

I am happy...:icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::yahoo::yahoo::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::yahoo::yahoo::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue::yahoo::yahoo::icon_hornsup:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals