• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can I get a concrete answer on roller rockers?

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am very new to this site and I just bought my first Ranger. It is a 02 with the 3.0 Vulcan engine. I bought it with a dead cylinder (bad valves) and I am currently getting the heads rebuilt. One thing I have found out about this site is that 1.7 rr seem to be a popular mod but there is never a good write up or concrete answer about them. If there is I am sorry if I missed it in the search function. I just so happen to have a set of Ford (Crane) original cobra 1.7 rockers lying on my shelf the past couple years. Since I took the heads off anyways I am thinking of just throwing on the 1.7's. As I look around I see people talking about premature wear issues or pushrod length issues. All I am looking for in this truck is a good reliable daily driver, I don't need my truck to be fast ( I have a modded 89 mustang for that). So my biggest worry is reliability and fitment. Since I have a free set of rockers I am not out anything by using them. But I want a good answer from people that have used original Ford rockers on how they fit, do they wear parts out, and if the gain is even worth the time? Or in my situation just throw the original rockers on? Also does one follow the mustang torque specs and shimming or the ranger specs?

Last edited:

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cant speak on the pedestal mounts but, As for the stud mount, Yes they will work, You will need to get a set of custom length pushrods to correct the valve to rocker tip geometry / travel. If you just slap them on expect to see some wear on the valve stems in 5-8K miles, as the rocker is not any where near riding in the center of the vlave. These were sold as strictly bolt on item. I wound up with all the valves in 2 heads wasted. I found this during the tear down, when I blew the motor (Stretched a Rod bolt @ 20 psi of boost) & I upon reinstalling the RR on the new motor on the stand. I took some very clear pics to send to the vendor & their only reply was they had never seen this. I did a complete re-alignment with the rocker setup on the new motor to correct the problems. I am sure there are 30-40 sets of installed stud mount rockers out there that are eating away the valve tips just like mine did. I would imagine the pedestal mounts would need similar shimming & pushrods also, I had the dimensions from the original rockers compared to the 1.7 302 rockers & the length was quite different. Only safe way is to install one & confirm the geometry.

JP02XLT

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why were you using stud mount when the heads are setup for pedestal? Did you have the heads machined for studs? Even on a 5.0 when you get stud mounts you need different pushrods when using the stock heads. But if you keep the 5.0 pedestal in almost most cases I have seen and experienced the stock length pushrods are used. Is that the same case with the Ranger? This is why there is some confusion on this board because stud mount does change geometry I know that but I want to know if the pedestal retains the stock geometry like on the 5.0 roller motors?

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why were you using stud mount when the heads are setup for pedestal? Did you have the heads machined for studs? ?
That is what the kit is for to go to a stud mont setup, Basicly you re-tap the heads to acccept a 5/16 stud that has a 3/8 body to fit the rocker arm. As the kit is sold the claim is there is no need to change pushrods.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals