• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

can I drive with front driveshaft disconnected?

bhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
94 Ranger 4x4. My son and I replaced 2 U joints on the front drive axles this weekend. The center one near the front differential was the worst. That meant taking the pig out to remove C clip. All done now. BUT, unfortunately on our test drive we had a knocking sound when we locked the manual hubs into gear. Knocking is coming from the front drive shaft double cardan joint it seems. When I removed the driveshaft I locked the front hubs again for a short 200 foot test drive up my driveway. Knocking sound is gone, so it must be that double cardan joint.
My question is--can I lock the hubs and drive down the highway at say 60 mph to test the front axle drive assembly for noises and vibrations without the front driveshaft on? I don't see why not but can you experts chime in. I don't want to damage anything.
I just want to take a 3 mile or so test drive to ensure we did everything okay when we removed and replaced the pig, both axles, spindles, Ujoints etc.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
You will be fine... I did just that the other day. There is a seal to keep the fluid in the transfer case.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^ he has a 1354 so no slip joint. yes you will be fine. why would you think you couldnt drive with out it? it doesnt move unless the tcase is in 4wd so you can drive with out it. also yes you can run with the hubs locked in and you guna run with the hubs locked in with the drive shaft in and the truck in 2wd. i run all winter like that so that when i need 4wd i just pull the level no need to get out

bhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys, I couldn't see a problem running without the drive shaft in place but I just wanted to ask.
Now, to get that double cardan U joint apart. it seems the ball or whatever is in the center is shot, as the joint moves up and down at that location. Any tricks, tips to get it apart?

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha no but let me know how you take it apart lol

bhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
got the first half of the double cardan joint apart. Used the old fashioned method of a small socket against one bearing cap driving the other bearing cap into a larger socket on a vice. Once I got most of bottom cup out, I put that protruding bearing cup into a vice, grip it, and hit upwards on the center yoke. that leaves the bearing cup in the vice. Once that cup was out, the other 3 bearing cups came out real easy with a lite tap of the hammer. Once that first U joint is out, then the yoke with the ball falls off. In my case, the ball is badly worn. I don't see any needle bearings in it or around it, my guess it there must have been some kind of bearing in there before. Piece of broken spring left in the driveshaft tube in the center where the ball sits. Now, trip to parts store tomorrow to see if a new one will fit in there. Thanks for all the advice guys.

_Kyle_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
There should be a rebuild kit for the double cardan end. The ball rides in the socket IRC from when I looked into the one of my Jeep. But the cost of rebuilding it + time vs. a trip to pull-a-part favored a quick trip to grab a replacement.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Mine was a 1350 with the slip joint, and it was fine without the shaft also. Just an FYI.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals